T3 Tactical

What mounts do I need for the picantinny rail on the Tikka T3 Tactical, I've bought a 1" tubed scope with a 44mm objective.

I've never dealt with a picantinny rail before so am clueless as to whats right ;) , I've been offered a set of Warne 201m mounts, will these fit?

Am I better of getting optilocks?

Any help appreciated.

anything with a weaver base will fit, warne make them and so do burris in there signature zee series, thats what I have on my weaver bases.

yup, just get rings that fit a weaver base and youll be fine.

Davo

The Picatinny Rail (or Picatinny Mil 1913) is a standardised mounting system used on military rifles. The Weaver rail system is an adaptation of this.

The difference being that the Picatinny rail has 5mm space bettween the raised lugs and the Weaver system 3.8mm space.

I reality, most mounts designed to fit Picatinnys also fit Weaver bases and vice versa as there is always a bit of play in the recoil lug built into the mount (its usually about 3mm wide)

If the rifle is fitted with a weaver rail, this already hightens the scope mounts off the reciever so you can get away with fitting lower rings than usual - BUT, its really a case of try the mounts, see if theres sufficient clearance rather than saying "X" mounts will fit "Y" scope on this rifle.

If you look at Warnes web page they list the 201 Maxima mount as being a medium ring .375" (which I think is base of mount to base of ring) Therefore one would have (on a one inch ring) - .375" + .500 to centre of scope with that mount = .875"

Time that by 2 will give you the maximum scope size this ring set will allow = 1.750"

Now your 44mm scope objective when converted to inches is 1.732"

The picatinny on the T3 as I said earlier is above the reciever (action) and so your mounts will be a little higher than mounting them onto a dovetailed reciever.

So, with the extra clearance, you may get away with fitting the Warne mount - but uou may not - is the scope a front parralax type?

If yes, I would try before I bought the mounts, or have an aggreement with the seller to take bthem back as it may be close.

Sorry if this has fuddled the issue - but you did ask....

Guest 308Panther

And to further confuse things... ;)

Or to expand slighly on what Ronin posted,

Some manufactors machine the rail with a 20 deg angle.

I am not sure if a T3 is or isnt.

The reason for incorporating the 20 deg's is to give you

more elevation so that shimming isnt needed to be able to do

loooooong shots.

Also keep in mind whether or not you have an adj cheek rest.

Mounting the scope too low (but still clears) may not allow you to

adj the cheek rest for your shooting comfort....Your body will tell you.

You will know if the scope is too low,by the cramp in the back of your neck.

308Panther

The best ring/bases for your t3 are listed here http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/kuvasto_eng.pdf.

From an engineering point of view the Warne rings are crap and will damage your scope body.

The alternatives are the Burris signature series rings with weaver bases, available from Brownells, mail order and I can thoroughly recommend both the rings and Brownells, http://www.brownells.com/

Redfox

Now you really are confusing the issue!!! ;):P;)

+1 on the opinion of the Warne rings, they ain't the best thats for sure....

Thanks again to everybody for the responses It is all much clearer now with regard to what I need, believe it or not :D

Ronin, the scope is side parallax so going on you're info that would appear not to be a problem.

Redfox, I will take a look at the links provided, thanks.

I can reccomend the burris rings, I have 2 sets and they are very good, also you can get different inserts for them to get more elevation adjustment.

Guest 308Panther

Right now I am using Leupolds QRW rings (#49858) on my AR

Those are goin to be replaced when I do a couple of things.

Replace the A2 stock with a Magpul PRS

and replace the Leupold thats on it with a MK4 w/ Mildots.

Thinkin of some Badger Ordnance...Ultra High....to use the Adj on the PRS

Whats really nice about Picatinny rails/Weaver rails

is you can remove the day scope/rings as an assembly,say to

mount a NV scope and not get a change in your zero.

That is,....provided both were originally zeroed to that rifle.

308Panther

• 2 weeks later...
I have used Warne's for years on many different scopes and have never had them mark one yet. Rock solid and don't loose zero plus cheap direct from the States, what more could you want??

But they look ugly to me :rolleyes: plus they should be cheap as they are easy to manufacture.

Best rgds

B-b

Archived