First cubs.

garyw

i shot a milky vixen last night called in with a foxpro caller from a overgrown banking that has had cubs in it for the last 4 yrs [1st fox with the caller]only recieved it thursday morning from stevienicknacks the fox has been seen several times coming and going in the last 2 weeks so i thought this is a good time to test the foxpro,any ways i phoned a good mate who has terriers this morning to tell him to go check the banking ,he did this afternoon and found 4 cubs ,in his mind at least 3 weeks old.so first cubs. this fox was on land that has a lot of lambs so had to be disposed of.

Me and my shoot buddy were out one night while I was home in Jan didn't see anything, when I pulled into a car park near a KFC to drop him off at his car, 2 fox cubs 1/4 size ran out in front of us playing with each other..this was Jan this yr..way early.

It's the barmy weather, last Saturday night I got a call saying a pair were seen and making plenty of noise on a fell farm and both were duly dealt with whilst getting jiggy! Yet on Sunday night not 3miles away on a different holding I got a dog fox using a hare distress at 110yyards and about 10min later a vixen which was full of milk and cubs and just about to pop, I shot a vixen heavy in cub and a barren one on that same holding 2 weeks earlier! Simon

maybe it is the milder winters that are getting then mating earlier i also think availability of food is a big factor like most animals in nature they time there new born to coincide with the natural foods they rely on being available a lot of my land has shooting on or poultry or various food sources so numbers are constant.

mickey-KFC near me you can sit in the car park and watch the foxes sniffing round dont think a .22br going off would get me any brownie points!

mickey-KFC near me you can sit in the car park and watch the foxes sniffing round dont think a .22br going off would get me any brownie points!

Same here mate..pub one side KFC other oh and a garage and large shopping complex..just sit and watch.

Hi

I have seen about half a dozen earths showing signs of cub activity, and only the other day I removed a vixen and litter of cubs from under a bowling green shed.

As spud said they get earlier each year, no shortage of food in built up area's so their numbers just keep increasing!

ATB Bob

hi gary

out of interest what call did you use on the foxpro? i been finding the vixen on heatand rabbit distress very good shot 16 since christmas on these cals alone

ta mark

TAFFY-sorry for the late reply-i used the young rabbit distress and the mouse distress steve who i bought the unit said these were very good and as i only got it that day didnt have alot of time to go through the calls i did try the lightning jack it sounds like a very disstresed hare getting its nuts cut off with a blunt knife this brought another in on another farm but as soon as the lamp went on it -bye-bye!im waiting until next week to give it a real whirl but to be honest i usually stop in february until may unless i get a phone call to go out.it will get tested proper when theres some cubs about and i use the nv.

Archived