HMR ammo, big problem.

between the eyes

HMR ammo, big problem.

Has anyone had any issues with regards the cases splitting? I don't want to mention the maker yet as I have just wrote to them but not yet had a reply.

Last night I was shooting rabbits and on the 12th shot there was an almighty bang, I ejected the cartridge and the primer end was split, this had in turn set off the two rounds in the mag too. Now I also have a bullet in the barrel and naturally I am worried that the rifle is knackered. What do you think I should do? I know that the rifle needs to be checked by a gun smith but do you think that the ammo maker would be liable for costs?

Thanks Andy.

Had a similar problem with my HM2

Got a squib round that blocked the barrel, next round blew up in the chamber ejecting all the pressure through the mag well which was cupped in my hand!

Luckily no secondary detonation involved but it damaged the next 2 or 3 in the mag which had disintegrated.

Ammo manufacturer was sympathetic and offered to replace mag and gift a free brick of ammo until they realised I was in the UK. Then it all went dead :angry:

Had head in barrel knocked back and then business as usual, no damage to rifle other than mag (£35) and some sore fingers (luckily all still there)

Best of luck with your dealings

MArk

On a previous post, I commented that I suffered three misfires from 20 on Hornady 17gn. I replaced the 100 rounds from that batch.

I have not suffered from the same problem since. New rifle, bolt and firing pin all correct so no issue there.

The delicate area to consider is how long do you keep the bolt closed to avoid a potential "hangfire". After five minutes I opened the bolt and buried the round in the middle of nowhere. Not happy with the idea of the little bugger going off in the case in my jacket !

I had a couple of box's of Remington gold tips a few months ago and half of the necks were split before firing. I took them back to my RFD and got them replaced with Hornadys.

The quality control on HMR rounds seems to be non existent. Some seem feeble, some bloody hot and quite a few with damaged and split cases. I have never had a blockage yet but read about it plenty of times on various forums.

Hi All,

I have only ever sold Hornady brand .17HMR ammo and have only had one reported instance of a miss fire caused by the ammo. However, more serious was one bullet remaining in the bore. Luckily the shooter was experienced and realised that there was a problem. It appears to me that since the successful introduction of the .17HMR the manufacturers have taken their 'eyes off the ball' and let standards slip, maybe as a consequence of massive demand,

Alan

I so far have never had a problem but a mate was firing his CZ hmr and when he went to reload realised the next round would not chamber he unloaded and removed the bolt to find the bullet stuck in the barrel luckily not far otherwise he just may of loaded the next and god knows what may of happened..this was only a few weeks back.

Hi .Same thing happen to me back in November. I was out shooting rabbits,and had taken 3 or 4 shots on the 5th one nothing happened I just heard the firing pin fall.

I ejected the round or so I thought and chambered another one

Upon firing there was a bang a flash the mag flew out.

When I checked the bore there was a bullet lodged half way up the barrel.

When I got home I slid a cleaning rod down the barrel from the muzzel end and out dropped the head also the case was jammed in the chamber this also came out quite easy.

I took the rifle to an RFD for a check over and was told that the stock was cracked by the mag opening, the mag was buckled and the mag and trigger plate was buckled.

There was nothing wrong with the barrel or action.

The rifle was sent back to the distributors . Who then checked it over and replaced the rifle and supplied a brick of 500 Hornady rounds all free of charge.

I might add that the ammo I was using was remmington and that this was the last but one block of 50 out of 500

also when I looked at the empty cases two had split necks and one still had powder in which seemed to be paste like

ie it did not fall out of the case when turned up side down.. Eric

Archived