Firearms Licensing Meeting - Bisley

Gunsgobang88

Hi all,

The management team from Surrey Police Firearms Licensing Dept. will be answering questions about issues relevent to Surrey Licence holders and general issues. Since the 'regime change' at Surrey the Licensing Dept. has rapidly gained a reputation for being as helpful and efficient as possible. Steve Stilwell the manager seems to be pretty open minded, while Stanton Royle (his assistant) is a rifle shooter who helps run BASC Young Shots days and DSC courses. Both of these gentlemen attend meetings at the Home Office where national policy issues are raised. If anyone would like to attend the meeting or submit questions please contact me or Google osmshooting for contact info. There is a charge of £12 for the meeting to cover refreshments and a donation to the BASC Young Shots program.

Policy in other force areas such as a refusal to grant the use of certain calibres or the blanket application of conditions could be raised with the idea of bringing it to the attention of the Home Office.

Alan

Hi All,

So far I have had one PM, thanks, you know who you are! Surely with the volume of complaints about Firearms Licensing on UKV someone else has some issues to raise? Please contact me, all sources and names will be kept incognito,

Alan

Alan I think your efforts in publicising this are to be admired ;)

I, as you appear, are disappointed in the responses you have received so far. I was tempted to respond when you first posted but for two reasons I didn't;

1/ I am not under the jurisdiction of Surrey and I am many miles away.

........... Ah but I read it you were looking for nationwide issues so as to refer them through your available channel so mileage wasn't an issue.

But,

2/ I am generally pleased and satisfied with West Yorkshire Police.

One fairly obvious issue that keeps cropping up, but fortunately I am on the best side of the fence for this, is having a larger caliber for vermin and fox control as a secondary reason. This avoids having to take two guns etc etc.

Come on guys, Alan is trying to address issues through the front door here and yet you all (mostly) gripe about your forces reluctance for this and that. There is no point putting posts up complaining when here is an opportunity to take the points to task. :unsure:

Some members may have concerns regarding their posts being monitored by their respective FLDs. If this is the case then a PM to Alan would be the way to go.

I'd echo Eldons position though. If you have concerns then this should be an effective way to voice them.

Regards

G

Alan,

No donations to the NRA even though it is being hosted at the NSC?

Hi Davy,

I think that the donation to the BASC Young Shots is at the request of Stanton Royle who helps run the program locally. The NSC have consistently overcharged the OSM for services and admitted that the club is due a refund but it never appears. In those circumstances it goes against the grain to give them a donation! The NRA have on several occasions tried to invoice us for targets and markers that were never booked, have you seen the latest no-warning increase in fees?

Thanks to all those who have contacted me with matters to be raised. I'm still waiting for someone from Cheshire to raise the matter of 'acceptable' calibres. Any thoughts on the 'Lawful Quarry' condition or differences between ACPO and Home Office guidance and rules?

Best regards

Alan

There are several other points which need clarifying, apart from the one i sent you Alan. These are particular to Cheshire, and their draconian [and against HO guideline ] views.

They will not certificate deer rifles for fox or vermin, DESPITE it being a current guideline to do so.

They will not issue solid slug ammunition to holders of section one shotguns who are actually members of HO approved clubs, with approved slug ranges.

They are very reluctant indeed to issue same calibre rifles, despite being used for target, or vermin shooting, even when "good reason " that satisfies every other force in the country is given.

In short, Cheshire firearms licensing are not following HO guidelines, and are doing a disservice to their license holders.

They are not alone. Some other forces in the UK are just as bad, the Met being another.

The insistence that people join the UKPSA and do the basic safety course before being issued a section one Shotgun variation, is also unlawful, but it doesn,t stop them. Several forces are guilty of this one.All that is legally required is membership of an approved slug range, that shoots slug comps once a year.

Forcing people to undergo a mentoring before a deer calibre is granted is also unlawful.

If you have suitable land and also quarry, it should be automatically granted.

When is this? I'm renewing at the moment so who knows I might have something for the meeting?

Hi TackB,

As per the first post, 7pm, Friday 30th March, Old Sergeants Mess Shooting Club, Bisley. We are submitting questions in advance so we can try and get definitive answers rather than an 'off the cuff' reply. If you require further info. please PM me,

Best regards

Alan

Archived