0.223 Barrel Length

As a follow up to my previous post for which I am indebted to all the responders (and I will take up home loading cheers Spud)

Rather than go on a back order list I have been offered a Tikka in 0.223" with a 20" barrel and 1 in 8 twist.

Can I have any opinions on whether this would be OK out to 4 to 600 yards? and would be most obliged on suitable loads.

Thanks in advance.

Plenty long enough for a 600 yard gun. I regularly compete with 16" barrelled AR,s and have no problems at 600. I was holding the V bull last friday at Bisley all the way from 100 to 600 with one.

Load ?

Remington brass

CCI BR4 primer

24.5 grains of Vhit 140

77 grain sierra matchking.

That was on a 300 yard target too.

Hi,

I run a 20" border archer on my 223 which is 1-8 twist.

It will certainly get you to 600 yards but others cals like a 22-250 built to shoot heavy bullets or a 6mm of some sort would be better.

20 inches is a nice length for me as Its maily used for a truck lamping gun, with the occasional plink at steel or crows.

If you want more velocity from the 223 go with a longer barrel and throat for long bullets.

I get 2800 fps with 25 gr varget behind a 75hpbt bullet or 3000 fps with a 60 gr vmax with 27 gr varget. This is not screaming loads but very consistent and not bad from a 20" barrel.

It is certainly a 400 yard setup but if you are more geared to 600 yards go with something bigger.

Just my opinion.

Garry

I've had my 1-8 Sako varmint barrel cut to 20" and use 25g varget under a 75amax and have held the bull out to 900 .

To answer your question then yes you will be fine to 600 , sure there is better calibres but there's nothing wrong with a little old 223.

Archived