Should this be binned / disposed off?

I think that I have already made my mind up to dispose of the carcass of the last roe doe I shot but I need advice from people with more experience than myself as I've never found and absys on any animal i've gone to process before. The doe was showing now signs of illness before the shot and not favouring any legs. All the internals looked as they should, no enlarged lymph glands on the usual checks, the only thing is that it is a bit on the thin side but still carrying a healthy amount of fat. There is an absys / black growth on the inside of the leg which is a bit pungent, on the other side is a large deposit of yellow pus? The skin before removal was showing no signs of damage from fencing / car accidents etc. The rest of the carcas looks healthy and smells exactly as you would expect a deer to smell before processing. The sensible side of me is saying to dispose of the whole carcass, the tight arsed side of me is saying it would be fine. I'm following the sensible side, but would like more knowledgeable / experienced peoples advice.

2012-02-04150433.jpg

2012-02-04150453-2.jpg

Hopefully the pics have come out.

Cheers

Paul

Yes it could be a localised infection BUT it could also be Tuberculosis, if I came across this on a deer that I had shoot and you say it was a little on the thin side then I would (just to be on the safe side) contact the Animal Health Divisional Office for further advice. The law requires ANY suspicion of Tuberculosis to be reported. You have nothing to loose.

The requirements are very clear.

The carcass is not fit for human consumption despite what some would have you believe.

As a deer stalker, you have legal obligations.

You must retain both the carcass and the organs to enable a qualified person to conduct a detailed examination. You must inform the Divisional Veterinary Office and DEFRA.

ATB

As it is a localised abcess and the lymph glands were fine,and I guess so were the lungs(or you would of mentioned it)so why anyone would suspect TB is beyond me,it should be removed,and you can safely(assuming what you have told us is true)use it yourself,and if you usually use a Game Dealer then they will take it as it is without the abcess removed and with the red offal no problem.

As it is a localised abcess and the lymph glands were fine,and I guess so were the lungs(or you would of mentioned it)so why anyone would suspect TB is beyond me,it should be removed,and you can safely(assuming what you have told us is true)use it yourself,and if you usually use a Game Dealer then they will take it as it is without the abcess removed and with the red offal no problem.

Because the cause of the abscess was not apparent. Had it been an obvious wound turned bad, fair enough. He stated that he could not detect one.

The lymph nodes on a significant number of TB infected deer have shown no readily discernible changes.

Let the vet have a look, that's why they get paid.

ATB

Because the cause of the abscess was not apparent. Had it been an obvious wound turned bad, fair enough. He stated that he could not detect one.

The lymph nodes on a significant number of TB infected deer have shown no readily discernible changes.

Let the vet have a look, that's why they get paid.

ATB

Cheers for all the replies. I didn't keep the offal as I was stalking all day and this was shot in the morning, they were burried along with the rest of the offall and pluck. The lungs seemed fine (what was left of them as it was shot with a 6 x 47 and for some reason it was particularly damaging on this deer.) I shall keep the rest of the carcass and give the vets a call tomorrow as you say it's better to be safe rather than sorry. I'm guessing it was a localised infection as it smelled just like how an absys smells just when it bursts (I only know what that smells like as I had one after a botched apendectomy).

Thanks once again for all the usefull advice this site and the people on it have once again come up trumps.

Paul

Archived