Accuracy nodes in my own 260 seem to be about 1 grain or so apart..... never ceases to amaze me to see the group grow then shrink again with varying charges.... then when it comes together in the classic 'ragged hole'' = big smiley face!.... nice one!

what seating depths or oal do you use in .260 do you load just of lands or standard 2.800

Gunnery... I have mine set at A Hornady Comparator reading of 2.2695 (Scenar 123g) which equates to 2.846 Head-to-Tip COL albeit that measure is a bit 'iffy' due to bullet manufacturing variances as you will know. That should 'JUST' be shy of my lands and it goes through the Mag just fine. I found that loading just that little bit longer to 2.270 (Comparator measure) made chambering a little stiff so reckon I am as close as I can get to teh rifling without JAM. Seems to work well in my 260 with Viht N550.

Mr T your load is same as mine powder, bullet, but i have found i get best groups around the 2.800 mark (strange)are you using lapua brass or remy again i compared lapua against remy for volume.

Mr T your load is same as mine powder, bullet, but i have found i get best groups around the 2.800 mark (strange)are you using lapua brass or remy again i compared lapua against remy for volume.

I use Lapua whenever I can ....brass longevity and minimal clean-up from new.

Mine shows good accuracy at standard length as that is where I started and I was not by any means unhappy with the grouping ... but I think that it has tightened as I got snugged up to the lands.

Naturally each gun will show its preference!

For what its worth and with the usual caveats my accuracy nodes are appearing at 42g and 43.2g of N550... the former giving circa 3005 from a 30'' barrel and the latter not yet chronographed.

At present I am feeling out my upper limits and looking for minimising the ES.

After all that I start all over again on 139g Scenars!

i have never tried 139grn scenars heard some good reports about them but i have always been happywith the 123grn scenars let me know how you get on if you dont mind thanks

I shoot 139 scenars through mine and have never wanted to shoot 123's although i have tried them. The case is big enough to drive the 139's comfortably fast enough to present better on paper ballistics. Re17 provides huge velocities but i find it inconsistent and prefer the milder but more reliable H4350.

i have never tried 139grn scenars heard some good reports about them but i have always been happywith the 123grn scenars let me know how you get on if you dont mind thanks

No problem.... I just like to have an alternate load in case of component shortage etc..... might also be better at distance in the wind!

How are you guys finding the Lap .260 brass? I bought 200 and after 3 firings found at least 50% of the primer pockets loose. Some of the is down to load development admittedly but even so I'm not sure its all down to hot loading... Just settled on H4350 and 140 SMK's which are proving to be outstanding.

Lapua brass all good so far (Couple of pockets do prime 'easily' but not what I would call loose as such) .... I do work up very gradually so no mega-loads & even though I am over the book max I load to a long COL which takes the 'sting' out of things !

My brass is on 7th firing and no pressures or problems so far.

I know that pretty 'stiff' loads of H4350 are the favoured American setup but I typically use Viht powder provided it gives me good results as its simply cheaper.

Yep I'm with you on the Vhit powders and I use them wherever possible. Tried N160 and N165 with reasonable success in the 260, not tried the N550 admittedly. The load I've settled on is only 42 grains H4350 giving around 2650fps - minimal pressure signs, it is however an extremely accurate and consistent load.

Yep I'm with you on the Vhit powders and I use them wherever possible. Tried N160 and N165 with reasonable success in the 260, not tried the N550 admittedly. The load I've settled on is only 42 grains H4350 giving around 2650fps - minimal pressure signs, it is however an extremely accurate and consistent load.

I did try H4350 and my load with a 139g Scenar in another 260 that I own was nearly the same as yours at 42.5g... never did get to Chrono it but it seemed faster than the alternate load of Viht N560 that I was using and which my son still uses in his 260 (44.5g which gives 2700 and Brill accuracy)

I also got up to 41.3g of RL17 and no pressures showing at that accuracy node.

jAGGED77 what is your barrel lenght with 42.5 grns Vit 550 mv 2911 26" trueflight barrel groups as picture above

as regards lapua brass i am getting better acuuracy with remy brass dont no why really i know they say lapua brass more consistant but remy seems to group better as photo

Gunnery, its a 26" barrel. I've tried pushing the 123's and 139's fast but it likes the slower speeds. I hear what you're saying about RP brass I use it too. In fact my accuracy load for the 260 was developed with F/L sized and chamfered Rem brass.

Re 17 was 3000 + fps capable in the lesser quality Nosler custom brass without pressure problems on the 139's but it made a lot if sense to back way off. When i did use it, i was happy at 2840fps off 43.4gr.

Certain powders mentioned have caused some disastrous failures i have seen from questionable batch to batch consisteny but this was on loads people were smoking the ###### off anyway so thay are equally to blame.

42.4gr of H4350 gives me 2780 fps from a 26" border/ archer.

I shoot 139 scenars through mine and have never wanted to shoot 123's although i have tried them. The case is big enough to drive the 139's comfortably fast enough to present better on paper ballistics. Re17 provides huge velocities but i find it inconsistent and prefer the milder but more reliable H4350.

Hatzi.... I have seen many comments re the inconsistency of RL 17 outweighing its velocity advantages.... are we talking about pressure being OK on one batch and way out the next (temperature issues?) or some other factors? I have three tubs in my stock to use at some stage!

It wasnt so much dangerous pressure problems but i found that 3 1lb tubs over the course of 3 months were giving quite wide velocity shifts and unexplainable accuracy variations, not in line with other variables like temperature either. It was dirty in my gun and sometimes id look back on a competition performance and wonder how the hell i could shoot good groups at 500 yards with intermitently questionable results closer in, i just never "learned" the ammo whereas with the 4350 accuracy was consistently dependable. Re17 was bloody dirty too, also inconsistently though???

I think im too conservative these days, i just cant fall in live with double based powders, they always seem to NEED running at breakneck pressures and if that is combined with batch to batch inconsistency, its not confidence inspiring. I have done enough reloading to not want to be -10% re-testing new tubs of powder and essentially wasting bullets, brass and barrel but that is purely my opinion.

How are you guys finding the Lap .260 brass? I bought 200 and after 3 firings found at least 50% of the primer pockets loose. Some of the is down to load development admittedly but even so I'm not sure its all down to hot loading... Just settled on H4350 and 140 SMK's which are proving to be outstanding.

Then you load is to hot !!, the primers must be well cratered. I assume headspace is not an issue if it was put together by a reputable builder.

A

Archived