I hope you won’t mind a post about another Czech Republic shooting competition but I just have to tell you about this one.

I’ve not yet finished cleaning the rifle having arrived home yesterday evening from this two-day competition in Holesev in the eastern part of the Czech Republic but I felt I had to put pen to paper (finger to keyboard) to record things while they are still fresh in my mind. The competition was held at a recently refurbished 300m range in the hills a few miles outside Holesev in wooded countryside with snow on the ground. The range has a covered firing point capable of taking about 12 shooters at a time and the land then slopes gently upwards to the target positions with most of these electronically operated. At the 300m point there is also a mover mechanism installed by sadists, more of which later.

The shoot was divided into three sections, a straightforward target section in the morning, a practical type target section in the afternoon and then the mover on the morning of the second day. The firing points are on raised tables and although these provided a generally solid platform I found I was bounced about a bit under the muzzle blast of eleven other rifles going off, most of which had muzzle brakes.

post-70-1195910536_thumb.jpg

The sheer weight of noise and shock waves initially caught me by surprise as the roof and side walls bounce the shock waves back. The conditions were the same for everyone though and it all added a degree of stress to keep things interesting. Not a situation that allowed for benchrest-type shooting though.

To give you a flavour of the targets the first stage was a 50m cold-bore shot at a small black target with two identical no-shoots either side (see picture above). You had to remember which target to shoot from the earlier briefing session and then take the shot within a few seconds of getting the signal (a poke in the leg with a stick). Only a pinwheel hit scores maximum points. Other targets varied between two-shot and five-shot sections with timings that were not extremely tight but which did not allow enough time for spotting-scope users to spot each shot.

The mover stage was the one I found most difficult never having fired at a moving target before. The targets were people-shaped (small people, very small. I think they must have some kind of issue with pygmies or something) silhouettes moving at about 3m/sec with six targets and six shooters at a time. So you had to pick out your target, give the appropriate lead and take the shot all within a few seconds. Quite a lot of people cleaned this section which gives you a guide to the level of skill some of these guys (and gals, there were a couple of girl shooters) possess.

I’m still thinking through what constitutes key ingredients for success for this type of competition but essential elements would include having near-perfect zeros at all distances (in metres) out to 300m, the ability to put in good groups under less than ideal circumstances and not to crack under pressure. You also need to be able to take good notes at the briefing sessions: I lost points on one target simply when I aimed slightly to the side of the highest-scoring section because I had not noted the exact aiming position.

Also if you are really good in the sitting position (yes, there was a sitting stage) then this provided an opportunity to pick up a lot more points. Having a high level of confidence would allow you to take the high-scoring but riskier shots rather than opt for lower-scoring but safer zones of the target. This particular competition was generally biased towards accuracy over the more ‘practical’ type of shooting so there was no stalking stage or night-shooting.

Participants were almost all serving police and army snipers from the Czech Republic and Slovakia but with a small representation from GB and US. The standard of shooting and equipment was generally high. Sako TRGs in 308 were most common but there were some exotics and other chamberings included 6.5–284, 260 Remington and 338 Lapua.

post-70-1195910547_thumb.jpg

Why go to all the trouble? Well, for me the enjoyment and memories gained make the experience of travelling to the Czech Republic to compete a very positive one and well worth the limited degree of hassle. Most of my shooting is in the field these days but my experience suggests that your shooting improves very quickly when you take part in competitions and this in itself is worth the cost and trouble involved in getting your ass on an aeroplane. I’d be happy to give folks more information about taking part in these competitions as a limited number of GB competitors are welcomed by the Czech organisers as it adds an ‘international’ element which they value. They are very good hosts and I met only kindness and courtesy from all the people I met.

Lastly I have to mention that the involvement of DS was, not for the first time, indispensable. He lives in the Czech Republic, speaks the language, arranged transport and accommodation and knows all of the people necessary to make things go smoothly. Without his influence the doors would simply have not been open and his hard work helped me forge some more wonderful memories – thanks mate.

Cornishman

excellent post, glad you enjoyed the trip as I did for Strenla, meybe you go to that comp next year?

your right about focussing the mind, no matter how good a shot one percieves to be, this type of comp is a "great leveller" and any ego's are definately left outside ;)

I couldn't load the pics, has anyone else had the same problem?

Finaly David (DS1) is indeed an excellent guide / host and friend, without him the language barrier would be nigh on impossible.

Interesting "sling" arranegment - does she subscribe to Japanese Rope Bondage??

Perhaps I should pencil next years Police comp into my diary ;)

First Congratulations to"Cornishman" he did very, very well and finished 2nd. I did less well 9th place, out of 82 competitors......... I think it is just bad form when you sell someone a rifle and they go and beat you with it though. :lol:

Secondly, thank you for the great write up (writing is one of the many things I am crap at).

Ronin, we were kipping at the plod school, plenty of sudents. ;)

Cornishman....did you not notice the movers were the same size as TLG`s we saw in Prague (ok the TLG`s were fatter)........ but is the only reason I did not miss any.

Kit, most were using TRG22`s with S&B`s on top. The range favours 308`s - side baffles seem to negate any wind and 308 holes are easier to see as no sighters are allowed. Times for all 2 shot targets was 30 seconds, and 5 shot targets 2 mins. On this range I had no advantage using 338 Lap but also no disadvantage - no time shortage and recoil ( despite what the drama queens say) is only a bit more than 308win. Rifle platform is an IA AWSM with the new brake and I am small.

Optics - first good good zeros are essential - more so on other ranges though as windage is what screws things up. Although I am running a 5-25x56 S&B, I could be convinced that something like a 12-42x56 Nightforce could be a better option and dump the spotting scope.

Best wishes,

David.

Thanks for that cornishman!!!!!!!! ;) ;)

Glad to hear you had a good time too ;):D , may i ask is that lady single!?? could be just the partner i am looking for!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Thanks and all the best...................

RAY................................... :D :D

Never read a book from its cover!! I got ya there Cornishman!!!!! ;):D

She would out shoot me and then i would go off and sulk anyway!!! ;) ;)

Nice to see the ladies shooting as well though - very impressed!!!!!

Thanks again for sharing your experience buddy.....................

RAY..................................... :D :D

Well done cornishman.

Why is it we don't have any thing like this in the UK?

anti this and anti that, the only thing we seem to get is ripped off :(

rant over

Guest 308Panther

Great read/story...

Nothin like woman and firearms...

Pass on that sling arrangement tho...

reminds me too much of handcuffs and I am deathly allergic

to those.

308Panther

Archived