What 22-250 to go for

laird86

Hi all

I am new to the site, Am from argyll in scotland, I shoot deer most of the time with the .270 and i have started getting into shooting targets at range, i kinda wish i got the 308 instead.

I have also got the 22-250 on my licence but not got the gun yet, i am planning on hand loading, wat would you guys recommend.

Cheers

kris

Hi Kris,

Welcome to UKV.

I have a Tikka M590 in .22-250 I use it for roe & fox, it's the best rifle I've ever owned, smiddy built compared to the T3.

ATB

Bobbo.

Depends on what you plan to do with the 22-250. I had very good experience with a stainless Howa sporter that

shot under 1/4" mostly. If you plan to target shoot you might be better off finding a clapped out remmy, howa

or tikka in SA with a 308 bolt face and get a fast twist barrel in 22-250 fitted. Loaded with 69-75gr match

bullets will be fun.

edi

Depends on what you plan to do with the 22-250. I had very good experience with a stainless Howa sporter that

shot under 1/4" mostly. If you plan to target shoot you might be better off finding a clapped out remmy, howa

or tikka in SA with a 308 bolt face and get a fast twist barrel in 22-250 fitted. Loaded with 69-75gr match

bullets will be fun.

edi

I will be shooting roe deer, foxs and targets, how dose the 308 bolt face help?, am pretty new to all this.

Cheers

kris

Hi kris welcome too UKV.

I personally have a 22-250. It's a CZ 550 varmint. It and I shoot .25 all day long. It's a great rifle. Really the ultimate question is budget. I agree with Edi with the faster twist rate barrel mine is a 1:14 try and get something a little faster if possible but its not a necessity. If you can get your certificate changed to a 22-250 AI you May be better off. Take a look at Al's videos ( sir slots alot) he has a 22-250 AI to great effect, nice set up but pricey.

Happy new year and good luck finding a rifle you like.

J

CZV

Hi kris welcome too UKV.

I personally have a 22-250. It's a CZ 550 varmint. It and I shoot .25 all day long. It's a great rifle.

That sounds like one awesome rifle :P

I would love to see these groups.

Have you thought of shooting benchrest with this rifle?

Contact Vince (Gun Pimp) on here as it sounds like it would clean up in factory sporter class.

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13417

Cheers

Dave

Alright Dave when I'm home from work I will post some pics for you. (Be a few days yet) This is my problem I don't get the whole buying rifles to take to bits I have been spoilt! Oh and best thing is I only paid three hundred for it second hand! ;-)

have recently found that 55gr vmax are better than my BlitzKing so need to load some more of those up.

I have often spoken to ronin about doing bits and pieces but I can't afford it mate.

Happy new yr to ya mate.

Hi kris welcome too UKV.

I personally have a 22-250. It's a CZ 550 varmint. It and I shoot .25 all day long. It's a great rifle. Really the ultimate question is budget. I agree with Edi with the faster twist rate barrel mine is a 1:14 try and get something a little faster if possible but its not a necessity. If you can get your certificate changed to a 22-250 AI you May be better off. Take a look at Al's videos ( sir slots alot) he has a 22-250 AI to great effect, nice set up but pricey.

J

CZV

What sort of money will it be to get an AI??, I think i am going to go for the change on my certificate.

Cheers

kris

There not as common mate but I wouldn't have thought they would be that much more. You must do some research tho buddy. Im not sure if you can convert a 22-250rem into an AI or not that's what I hope to do but I'm not very technically minded compared to most chaps on here.

I'll leave this part open to discussion .....

The AI well help with twist rate in barrel heavier bullets etc.....and if your home loading then its even better for accuracy.

CZV

There not as common mate but I wouldn't have thought they would be that much more. You must do some research tho buddy. Im not sure if you can convert a 22-250rem into an AI or not that's what I hope to do but I'm not very technically minded compared to most chaps on here.

I'll leave this part open to discussion .....

The AI well help with twist rate in barrel heavier bullets etc.....and if your home loading then its even better for accuracy.

CZV

he will have to reload if he wants the benefit of 22/250 ai otherwise if shooting factory ammo he might as well get a standard 22/250.

have a look at savage 22/250. well they may not be a looker they seam to get great reports for accuracy. and they do a fast twist in 22/250

Personally I wouldn't bother with AI in 22-250, doesn't bring much extra to the party at the expense of the agro of fire forming all your brass, this calibre is fast and accurate enough not to need it IMO. I have also heard of AI giving feed problems on some rifles.

I agree. That's why I never bothered with AI. To be honest I'm right happy with my home loads, does very nicely out to 600. Happy as Larry. Just go with a good 22-250 mate. Try and get a 1:12 or faster if you could. If so I recommend trying the 53gr VMaX.

Hi kris, don't think you'll go far wrong with a tikka t3 in either the lite or varmint range depending on how much gun your prepared to carry around. I have had the t3 lite in .22-250 for 7 years now, and for out of the box accuracy and usability straight from the factory its excellent. My home loads are made up with either 52grn A-max or 55grn V-max and (have yet to try the 53grn V-max but if it's not broke why try to fix it!) if I do my bit they take rabbits out to 600yards no problem and drops foxes on the spot, the longest shot I have taken on a fox is 440 yards in daylight on a sheep carcass and it dropped instantly with the top of it's heart, spine and off-side shoulder destroyed. If your going to be at the targets a lot I think the heavier varmint range with a stainless barrel would suit you best. Hope this is of some help. Si

I have to admit I love my 22-250. The accuracy is immense and it shoots out to range. I have a heavy set up...but I'm a reasonably sized guy so have no issues lugging it around. Just buy new if possible, then u know history of rifle. Tikka are nive but maybe pricey shop about, its the way forward.

Hi mainly for the attention of 6mmBR (AKA Dave)

this was when i first got my rifle and it was using soft points and i shot this 5 shot group at 100yrds it shot a .590 group so .590-.224= .366"

i seem to have misplaced...and i really have my latest 3shot groups...will be the wife tidying up my paper work. Grrrr......

CZV

P.S. I measured it initially with a ruler on the centre of the holes so ignore the writing on there! lol

post-10610-030972900 1325964862_thumb.jpg

Hi mainly for the attention of 6mmBR (AKA Dave)

this was when i first got my rifle and it was using soft points and i shot this 5 shot group at 100yrds it shot a .590 group so .590-.224= .366"

i seem to have misplaced...and i really have my latest 3shot groups...will be the wife tidying up my paper work. Grrrr......

CZV

P.S. I measured it initially with a ruler on the centre of the holes so ignore the writing on there! lol

Go shoot some more ! (5 shot this time).

Go shoot some more ! (5 shot this time).

Mildly confused my friend, have you miss read that its a 5 shot group already, or are you taking the pee!? lol

Please clarify...

CZV

kris,

bought my rem 700 bdl heavy varmint, second hand 7 or 8 yrs ago and was amazed at its accuracy then, however being abit over keen and new to reloading i shot out the barrel after 2 years using hot loads.

had it rebarreled in s/s same profile match grade barrel and now keep to lower, more accurate loads(lesson learnt)

its a heavy set up with a richards microfit varmint thumbhole stock, rifle basixs trigger and pes t12 mod, but once its settled on the shooting bag, it doesnt move. will cloverleaf at 100yrds no prob

dont do any walking with it,

cheers jock

I have owned a few 22.250 rifles over the years.From remmys to custom built jobs.One of the most accurate rifles i have seen is my brothers rem vssf.I shoots bug holes with a 52gr a max. The most accurate is an 8 twist RPA Neil mckilop built for me.That will shoot .25 moa groups on a still day off bags.Going on what we sell most of in the shop.Tikka T3 varmints seem very popular or remmys,Bare in mind that if you buy a remmy you will also probaly end up buying a trigger for it.

ATB SEAN

Hi kris welcome too UKV.

I personally have a 22-250. It's a CZ 550 varmint. It and I shoot .25 all day long. It's a great rifle. Really the ultimate question is budget. I agree with Edi with the faster twist rate barrel mine is a 1:14 try and get something a little faster if possible but its not a necessity. If you can get your certificate changed to a 22-250 AI you May be better off. Take a look at Al's videos ( sir slots alot) ;)he has a 22-250 AI to great effect, nice set up but pricey.

J

CZV

Hi CZ, just to clarify Al's rifle is a "standard" 22-250 but with a "fast" twist barrel. ;)

Regards.

I have owned a few 22.250 rifles over the years.From remmys to custom built jobs.One of the most accurate rifles i have seen is my brothers rem vssf.I shoots bug holes with a 52gr a max. The most accurate is an 8 twist RPA Neil mckilop built for me.That will shoot .25 moa groups on a still day off bags.Going on what we sell most of in the shop.Tikka T3 varmints seem very popular or remmys,Bare in mind that if you buy a remmy you will also probaly end up buying a trigger for it.

ATB SEAN

My CZ comes with a set trigger :P

Archived