Meplat trimming

I have been shooting out to 800yds today and tried some rounds i'd trimmed the meplat on. it was quite windy and to be honest I couldn't tell if there was any benefit or not. my drops were the same for rounds that were or weren't trimmed although again I was getting knocked about a bit by the wind which was also pushing poi down by up to a minute and a quarter. Does trimming reduce BC and if so by how much?

Were the projectiles just trimmed or (re)pointed as well?

In less-than-good conditions, you probably may not be able to tell any difference in group size.

The object of "pointing" is to improve BC but equally, to reduce BC variance among individual projectiles, the hope being tighter elevation at longs.

Chris-NZ

Well, in fact you've just gone backwards in BC but least it's more consistent :mellow:

Funniest thing- just been down to visit my main gunsmith and his business partner/fellow gunsmith was actually playing with a custom pointing die! The projectile in question was the 155 Berger .308 which he will be shooting in F-TR at the Nationals in two weeks time.

He'd bought a die, ie

http://www.bullettipping.com/bullettippingdie_detail.asp

and had made up a finer pointer for it which achieves a 0.9mm diam tip, which translates to .035 sq inch tip area. Anyway, it is a noticeably finer tip than the one that came with it.

Excuse the rough pics off the iPhone:

StdV-Pointed.jpg

Points.jpg

Using the info off Bryan Litz's website, the interpolated G7 is now 0.240 as opposed to the std BC of 0.228.

We ran this through the ballistics prog and it translates to 12.2" less elevation at 1000 (rel to 300yds). Big deal you might say, and you'd be right, but the real gain is in 7 inches less wind drift at 1000 compared to the std version. I could live with that ^_^

Chris-NZ

Chris, thanks for that. I realisethe tipping reduces bc but was hoping for more consistency. Like the idea of gaining 7" less drift. Whats the angle of the tip on those pointed rounds? It looks to be around a 60' taper? Makes me wonder if a bullet seating die could be converted....

• 4 weeks later...

Funniest thing- just been down to visit my main gunsmith and his business partner/fellow gunsmith was actually playing with a custom pointing die! The projectile in question was the 155 Berger .308 which he will be shooting in F-TR at the Nationals in two weeks time.

Chris-NZ

well chris,

interested to hear how your mate did in the nationals with the pointed ones?

i been pointing bullets for a few years now and i am convinced it makes a differnce ,i did trim but dont now just point and shoot ,i was getting 3/4 moa flatter with vlds and 1 moa with the hybrids at 1000yds

so if its flatter then its got to be cutting out some wind and tips are more uniform vertical is better

Hi, I used to trim the meplats, but now cannot be bothered, and just use the Whidden bullet pointer to do my Berger 180gr VLDs.

I am sure that trimming and pointing may give me a slight improvement over just pointing, but life is too short. But if it makes you feel good then do it.

well chris,

interested to hear how your mate did in the nationals with the pointed ones?

He had some very good shoots (incl a 50.10) and was quite happy with how the rifle was shooting, esp the group elevation holding, but got some "treatment" in the conditions. This is the first year he's got back into shooting (after failing eyesight) but managed fourth in F-TR. He's a top shooter historically having won the National title in TR once but took a long time to realise his eyesight isn't up to TR now. Trentham was also at its worst this year- ask any GB team member what Trentham wind can be like.. :o They didn't finish shooting one day in the qualifying til 7pm such were the stoppages from rain and extreme wind.

He's about to do some systematic testing of projectiles at 1000. He tells me the current load with pointed projs produced ".. a 10 shot group at 600 for a vertical of 45mm with 7 in 18mm."

I'll keep you informed as to what his testing shows

Chris-NZ

Archived