The Fastest Gun in the West lol

nemasis243

Well last night started life as the same as the past 4 weeks ,late finishing work and getting home to a shower and a hot meal and then paperwork, its funny how you adapt to changes and just get on with things and forget about otherthings you took for granted

Anyway about 2300hrs I had just switched off the TV and the laptop and was settling down for the night when the mobile goes, which isnt nothing strange but when I saw the caller I thought "whats up here then"???

I answered it and the first sentance I got was " Hiya boy ,where you been hiding"?

It was an old shooting buddy who is a farmer and who I havent seen for a good 5months or more, anyway he said that he had just been out to let his dog out for a quick run and noticed a van speeding off down his long drive,

Now my buddy lives on a farm of about 400acres and its well off the beaten track, there had been trouble with sheep rustling last year in the farms around him,and as xmas is on its way he thought it was starting again, he ran back in the house and grabbed the lamp and sped on the quad up the drive to where the van had left from, to his surprise as he approached the gate ,he saw a fox in the middle of the drive ,which as he got to the gate ran into the field,

Now my mate has only a rimfire and to be honest he isnt a very good shot and only really uses it if he has to put an animal down and I get called to sort fox problems out for him.

Anyway he parked the quad and got to the gate ,which was closed, he then flicked the lamp on,only to find that fox standing about 10yards into the field,

As he said to me,he could have even hit that one lol, anyway his main concern was the sheep and as he lamped around the sheep he noticed not one but 11 foxes in the field, he quickly put 2 and 2 together and thought there,s been a drop off and this hasnt been the first time.

His thoughts went from thinking about the sheep to how can I get these nailed before they wander off and start causing problems,hence the late call to me,

I got dressed and grabbed the kit and loaded the car, and set off on the 30minute drive to his farm, the weather was mixed and on the way had heavy rain,misty rain,hail and then a clear spell,which I hoped would last until I get there and sorted the problem out,

I arrived at the drive and called Mike (the Farmer) to come on up to the gate,I got set up and as he arrived the heavens opened again and we sat in the car for 10mins before it eased off and we could have a look about,

We approached the gate with the lamp held up in the air at about a 3o degree angle,this just hides our outlines as we got into position,

I put the cross sticks over the gate and rested the rifle on top and eased the bolt forward nice and quietly and said Ok ,as I said this the lamp was dropped to field level and he scanned the field and infront of us were 8foxes and I can remember just grinning to myself,

Where do you want to start he said, and as always I try to take the furthest one away ,as in the past I have found that if a fox hears a noise behind its self it will tend to come away from it bringing it closer to me,

The field is only about 200yrds long and one which I have shot in many times before so I was well awear of backdrops ,I eased myself onto the first fox and pulled the trigger and thump,number one in the bag, Mike,then went to the next one,which was just looking towards the one I had just shot and I nailed that as well, number 3 started to walk off towards the hedge,so with a small sqeek I stopped him just enough to give him a present of a Vmax in the shoulder and down he went, number 4 was comming toward us and at 80yrds he folded into as the bullet went straight in his chest,

I dropped the mag out of the rifle and topped it up and placed it back in the gun,the mag holds 5 but I have been in a situation before and its always nice to have a back up shot if you need it.

So we managed to get all 8foxes in that field in a matter of minutes, we the moved to the fields around and picked up another 3 so we had done what we set out to do ,all in about 20mins .

I was well chuffed ,Mike was laughing as he said he haddnt seen anything like that before lol.

This area of Wales has had many foxes dropped off in the past and this isnt the first time I have shot large quantities of foxes in one field after a phone similar to the one I had last nite, But what I would love to know ,is who is dropping them off ? as I could ask them for an where,when and how many ,so I can have a bit of time to prepare,lol

Thanks for reading cheers ANdy

Was there any signs of the animals having had surgery?

Dave

Dave ,I had a good look at them for any signs,but no signs of any scars other than that which I could see from the entry wounds, saying that they were very wet and their fur was laying tight but they were all in pretty good nick.

Just had a call from MIke and a farmer 2miles away had a load dumped lastnite as well,or so he thinks? he noticed them all round his milking palour this morning and they didnt care if he was there or not, so that mite be the mission for tonight.

He says he counted 6 within 100yrds of each other.

My sister is a vet nurse, although not in your area, has been asked a few times to release foxes, whilst she wont tell me for whom she works for she always tell me where they are dropped off. Good country girl that she is!

Is she married :lol:

ATB SEAN

Archived