6mmBR...opinions please

scotsgun

Folks,

I have a shot out 22-250 and a 308, so am considering re-barrelling one to a 6mmBR. It'll be used for occassional target use but mostly deer stalking.

So, i'd be interested to hear from those who own or have owned one - what are it;s strengths, its limitations and is there any specific problems that you've experienced?

Thanks

As a primary deer rifle I would steer you away from a 6mmbr.

As a target and varmint round it is a jack of all trades, but no longer a master of one.

To be competitive now days you need a rifle built for a particular disciplin.

Or if like me you just like to be a partcipant I would get another .308

The .308 will knock all UK deer down without question and can compete in it's own category at most clubs.

It makes a superb target cartridge and varmint round.

I think if you main role for it is deer stalking then there are far better cartridges out there for that job.

One of the main problems with the 6BR is to get it to mag feed reliably, it can be done but not easy.

Also you have to push a 6BR hard to make it deer legal especially if you have a short barrel.

If you want a 6mm for deer stalking then a .243 is probably the best all rounder. If you want to be different then how about a 6x47Lapua, 6XC or the new 6SLR all these are easy to make deer legal and mag feed with ease.

Cheers

Dave

any of the 'standard' 6.5's will work extremely well for you and your intended purpose my fav the 260 will do all you want but saying that so would the current general fav 6.5x47?

i have a friend with a 6br and he loves it but admits it's marginal on the bigger deer or if you get out to a reasonable distance , just doesn't land with the authority of the bigger rounds.

once you've tried a 6.5 you won't look back.........

Hi,

Almost any other short action .24/6mm would be a better choice for deer than the 6BR, it just does not have the 'legs' or horsepower. Either the .243 Win. or 6mm Rem. in standard or improved form would be a far better choice. Using the 6BR would be like fishing on light tackle, you can get away with it some of the time,

Alan

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread rather than make a new one

Has anyone used one for small Deer here? I was reading up on the 6mmBR as an alternative to a .223 for an all round target, varmiiting and small deer rifle.

I don't want to degenerate into the 'small cal' for deer debate as this would not be my primary deer gun however it would be used as a direct swap for a .223 which I use effectively (where legal) for small deer up to 150 yrds.

On paper it looks like it would fit the bill nicely.

Resurrecting an old thread rather than make a new one

Has anyone used one for small Deer here? I was reading up on the 6mmBR as an alternative to a .223 for an all round target, varmiiting and small deer rifle.

I don't want to degenerate into the 'small cal' for deer debate as this would not be my primary deer gun however it would be used as a direct swap for a .223 which I use effectively (where legal) for small deer up to 150 yrds.

On paper it looks like it would fit the bill nicely.

Its possible to get the 6mmbr deer legal in england and scotland so i would say go for it , very accurate and efficient little cartridge (better than the ppc imho) in fact i would rebarrel and chamber my little sako 75 to this calibre if it wasn't 223 so the bolt head is too small.

carefully select your barrel length and twist to get the best for your application.

hi i use a 6mm br on small deer and foxes, its a cracking round and stupidly accurate. i got a ppc magazine and never had problems with rounds feeding

if you get the right twist you can shot 58g up to over 100g, mine loves 75g and shoots just over 3200

regards

kc

p.s

pm me if you need load data

hi i use a 6mm br on small deer and foxes, its a cracking round and stupidly accurate. i got a ppc magazine and never had problems with rounds feeding

if you get the right twist you can shot 58g up to over 100g, mine loves 75g and shoots just over 3200

regards

kc

p.s

pm me if you need load data

Thanks thats a kind offer, won't be till the summer really till i look at can't afford to have two rifle projects on the go at the same time

Folks,

I have a shot out 22-250 and a 308, so am considering re-barrelling one to a 6mmBR. It'll be used for occassional target use but mostly deer stalking.

So, i'd be interested to hear from those who own or have owned one - what are it;s strengths, its limitations and is there any specific problems that you've experienced?

Thanks

The Remn BR case is essentially a shortened 308 case,or a short 243.It's an accurate case as 6BR (tho not quite as accurate as 6ppc), a very good varmint round,and can compete on targets to 600y,in light wind conditions.Good case,low recoil,nice to shoot in lighter rifles, but limited energy for deer,I would say marginal,even if legal.I have a 7BR and a 30 BR.Same applies-nice to shoot,not a good choice for deer.There are far better deer cartridges,starting with the no nonsense 243,or 260 and 6.5x47 for larger deer.Which is about what everyone is advising!

george

Archived