Polishing blacked actions

Have it re-blued, if you use an abrasive to polish a blued action, you will remove the blueing.

Youd be looking at circa 100 for a barrelled action.

Thats what I pay to a chap at Birmingham for chromoly barrelled actions and they come back looking fantastic.

Hi guys

Does anyone know if it is possible to polish up a blacked rifle action to get out fine scratches? Obviously I realise it couldn't be done aggressively otherwise it would strip the entire blacking.

Thanks,

Si

Hi Si,

The only option for a good quality job is to polish and re-blue. To preserve edges, lettering and radi use progressively finer cloth and paper abrasives backed by formed tools, blocks etc. Stay away from buffing wheels! For a classy, deep, blue/black finish go for rust bluing rather than hot blacking. If you require a more resistant finish go for nitriding, PVD coating, Cerakote or Duracoat. Hope this is of some assistance,

Best regards

Alan

Thanks for the replies guys. It is for my Barnard action. I would also consider getting the barrel done at the same time as it is stainless. That against the blacked action looks a bit odd IMO. I would rather have it all dark. I am toying with the idea of a matt finish but it really is my pride and joy and am reluctant to risk spoiling it. I have seen a few grey military looking jobs that I like the look of.

Might see what I can get for xmas, :)

Much appreciated,

Si

The problem you have Si, is that your action can only be reblued, or parkerised as its chrome moly steel. You cant duracoat or ceracoat it, as its bolt tolerances are too tight.

The second problem you have is that the barrel is stainless, that means that cant be blued or parkerised as its stainless steel. Paint or bead blast is the only option.

Done a few in the same situation. A good black, blue and then a satin black duracoat on the barrel gives a very pleasing result.

As far as bluers go, Colin Molloy in manchester is excellent, and so is a chap over near us, though he isn,t cheap. Colin is very reasonable.

Tikka 695 action and chromoly barrel.

The action was the dullish matt finish before I sent it to Birmingham.

Bluing has to be seen to be apreciated.

_ASC0345.jpg

Russ gall does teflon coating.He did my 300 wsm in a matt finish and it looks good.He also done a mates RPA in in a satin finish which also looks very nice.When i had mine done he was charging around £120-£150 for complete job.Hope this helps.

ATB SEAN

Archived