A Good Mornings Varminting.

stag1933

Well I went out to feed the hens this morning and a fat Magpie was sat in th tree above so nipped in for the Precharged Air rifle and added no 57 to the bag, still far too many of them though.

Redfox

Guest 308Panther

I think the proper way to address a bitch is.....Miss Bitch.

Anything less usually gets me slapped....Oh wait a sec,We are talking about canines.

308Panther

Of course with the Canine Community there is always a chance that you might get your bum nipped.

The farm manager on this estate has a Sheepdog which recently nipped the owners arse, he hasn`t lived it down yet and it is a constant source of merriment when I think about it.

Went up to my local gun-club today to stir up the members. It was a 100 D.T.L. Reg. shoot and had 37 guns shooting.

The last one on Bank Hol. Monday had 48 competitors.

If you are reading this `Spider` todays winner was Howard Caygill who shot a perfect 100/300 to take the High-Gun Prize. [He was shooting `Birds Only` so it was a nice bonus for him to get the £30.]

One of the guys told me that a couple of Carrions were sitting on top of a nest in a nearby Birch tree.

I waited until the competition was over and took a gun and went for a look, sure enough the fat blighters were there and an aimed shot at 20 yards with 28 gramms of shot settled their hash and raised my running total of 2007 Carrions to 107.

Before anyone chastises me for shooting live birds at a Clay Shoot they should remember that the shoot was over and perhaps more importantly that this is MY shooting ground which I sub-let to the Clay Club.

Hi Colin.

I med Emily the offer but she declined, she also refused an offer of massage of thou knows wat.

I think she hes an evil passion for thee and thou couldst dyer weel to snap her up, she being a rich widder.

Anyway lad git thesell oot terneet and see if thou can blast another brace of Bushtails.

Regards Old Fart.

Was again led astray by my Rav. 4 and rifle this morning. We went for a run in the sun and picked up a freshly killed hen pheasant off the road. Called in at my first farm and handed it over as food for the workers in his Crow pen. Those Carrions certainly get through some quantity of stuff and its only when you have the buggers in captivity that you realize just how much they can eat.

I was given 6 Free-Range eggs in exchange. Went on a little further and got the first shot of the day and middled Carrion No.108 of 2007.

Went up another valley and found a stupid Swaledale ram lamb with his head stuck through the small Rylock fencing squares, not once but doubly done. His horns were badly damaged by his unsuccessful escape attempts. The little blighter nipped my trigger finger a time or two so I had to get my wirecutters and set the ungrateful little sod free. He staggered off but seemed OK.

Called at the farm and told the tale, a nip of mixed evil [but nice] spirit appeared beside a mug of coffee also another half-a-dozen free range eggs.

Got the sips down and went to another area, it was getting rather late now and didn`t get a shot but got a nice photo of a Curlew standing on top of a wall. He was a flighty rascal and flew off. Went home then for a spot of scran.

P1010007.jpg

Not a good morning for the job as it was windy, wet and cold.

Saw a total of TEN MAGPIES this morning but out of 3 which sat only one had a safe background and was duly taken into custody [minus the head and neck which I could not find !]

I might make my annual Maggie cull of 6 birds yet as it would appear that two pairs have successfully nested.

Running total for 2007 :- Carrions 109, Magpies 3.

V.Max 75gr. rule OK.

P1010082.jpg

Well done Stag, poor ram done some damage to his butting plates, tis a good job you er out and about pard. Keep up the good work, I haven't manage to get out for a while now as we have had awful weather in these yer parts and the time it was good mu truck was off the road waiting a new starter motor, but that's fixed I now need some good weather. :rolleyes:

Hi CH.

Our weather here has been crap for some time now but they got lucky for the Gun Club clay shoot on Sun. It was two of the County Championships and most got shot before it rained.

We have far too much grass here at the moment and once they get it off life will become hard for the young Carrions and Maggies which have not got used to my nasty ways.

Photo taken today of a genetic freak, a Saddleback Swaledale lamb. The farmer wouldn`t win any prizes with this one !!

P1010078.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Haven`t been out much lately, too much grass and too wet for the farmers to get it off.

Went out today, covered 57 miles on the circuit and only got two shots but middled them both.

Got a mug of tea and 6 large brown free-range eggs given.

Running total of Carrions for 07 now 111. Saw a few Maggies but only one sat but with a dangerous background, cunning little sod.

This may sound an expensive exercise but at 74 years of age it is a pleasure to be able to get out, be welcome at so many places and still hit the target.

Most of the poor buggers I went to school with are either dead or dilapidated.

P1010179.jpg

• 1 month later...

Further to my Cumbrian bletherings of JUNE 4th and 5th Masterbitch has had 12 fine black puppies. I saw them last night when I took my daughter and her Australian friend to Martindale to see the Red-Deer.

About 70 had come down off the mountains and in one field 49 Hinds and calves were grazing or lying down, quite an experience for a person who had never seen a Deer previously.

HWH.

RedsatMartindale001.jpg

Archived