What can you tell me about 6x47 lapua ????

Hi Lads, i am thinking about a new rifle, i have shot a .243 for a lot of years but fancy trying something different, but still in 6mm. I have been hearing good reports about 6.5x47 lapua, but reading up on sites from the states etc the 6.5mm necked down to 6mm (or just buying 6x47 brass) is producing a great cartridge, very flat for long range varminting with good velocity, but still deer legal being 6mm. At this stage its only a thought that i fancy looking into a bit more. Any help/advice would help on barrel life etc.

Hi Lads, i am thinking about a new rifle, i have shot a .243 for a lot of years but fancy trying something different, but still in 6mm. I have been hearing good reports about 6.5x47 lapua, but reading up on sites from the states etc the 6.5mm necked down to 6mm (or just buying 6x47 brass) is producing a great cartridge, very flat for long range varminting with good velocity, but still deer legal being 6mm. At this stage its only a thought that i fancy looking into a bit more. Any help/advice would help on barrel life etc.

hi -

i have just got mine back, so it should be ready next week,

here is a bit of reading for you, (if you have not already read it.

http://www.6mmhot.com/

taken from 6mm BR

reverend6x47x270.jpgCALIBERS--New 6-6.5x47 Shines in Early Colorado Testing: AccurateShooter Forum Member 'Reverend' from Colorado reports outstanding results with a 6.5x47 Lapua necked down to 6mm. Assembled by noted gunsmith Dan Dowling, Reverend's rifle is built on a converted Palma gun with an RPA Quadlite action. Using a max load of H4350, the 6-6.5x47 launched Lapua 105gr Scenars at 3250 fps through a Schneider 30", 1:7.5" twist barrel. Accuracy was equally impressive. Shooting off bipod at 700 yards, 'Reverend' nailed a 3/4" three-shot group (too bad he didn't go for five). This was with a .273 no-turn chamber with minimal case prep and unsorted bullets. For those of you considering the 6-6.5x47 option, this initial field report certainly suggests the new Lapua case has great potential as a 6mm. It's got speed and the accuracy. 'Reverend' reports: "I think the 6 X 47 Lapua case with a 105 Scenar is going to be a great round. I've included pictures of a metal target at 700 yards. As near as I can measure this is a 0.735" group, only 3 shots. That's a dime taped below the group."

there are actually 2 types of cases available for you to take a look at.

there is the 6x47 Sm (swiss match) and the brass is available from ruag, but I'm lead to believe it is not cheap, and the case uses the large flash hole and the large primer as well.

then there is the 6.5 x 47 lapua

this brass is relatively easy to get hold of, is very easy to neck down to 6mm (well all you do is put it through your normal dies,and load it up) there is a rumor that lapua have made some brass in 6mm x 47 so you don't have to neck it down, but i have not brought any yet. the best bit about the lapua brass is that it has the Small flash hole and the Small primer hole, so if you look at all the BR cases (6mm BR 6mmBR improved, dasher)

well this one is like a 6mm dasher on steroids.

the reamer i have is the 6mm hot

the few we have now chambered have been shooting very very well, but we have not had any around long enough to see any burnt out barrels yet, i don't think i have read about any issues yet as well.

all so i believe redding have now got dies available for the 6x47. so there is really nothing stopping you getting one, :blink:

ATB

Colin :blink:

Archived