Howa

tony

Anyone know anything about Howa Rifles, I shot with a 223 varmint rifle at 100yds a little while ago and was quite impressed with its accuracy.

Anyone have any dealings with these rifles, are they worth considering as a purchase compared with Tikka and Remington, or not.

Tony.

Anyone know anything about Howa Rifles, I shot with a 223 varmint rifle at 100yds a little while ago and was quite impressed with its accuracy.

Anyone have any dealings with these rifles, are they worth considering as a purchase compared with Tikka and Remington, or not.

Tony.

I currently own a 223 stainless varmint thumbhole. Its a really good value gun. shoots way better than me ( .3 to .4 moa if i do my part)

Prior to my Accuracy AE my 308 was also the ssvth Howa. Shot just as good as the 223.

Mike

Tony.

Hi Tony,

There is at least one post about Howa rifles on this site, they are excellent value for money and usually shoot sub moa with factory ammo. My club run 3 (.223, .243 and .308) which receive serious use most weekends. The fit and finish are exceptional for the price, the only let down is s rather crude trigger. This can be adjusted by a competent gunsmith to a very crisp 2,1/4lb if required, this involves trigger modification to enable the safety to work. I hope your local dealer has them in stock as doing business with the importers is like pulling teeth!

Best regards

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

hi their ,

run a heavy barrel 243win in stainless absolute tack driver with 87 grain vmax and 70 grain sierra blitz kings smother than my rem700 police out of the box and i would say good value for money especially if your looking for a truck gun. also scope mounts are same as rem 700 so plenty available to chose from not a dedicated mount .if you got time take a run up the m5 to andy banner at droitwich as he carrys a large selection of them normally.

My only experience with Howas wasn't a great one. My gunsmith's son bought an SS one in 7-08 and rang me to say it "wasn't accurate". Knowing he's not the world's greatest marksman, I took it out to our private BR range and had a go with proper gear. Sure enough, it wouldn't do 2" @ 100yds and this was with a variety of loads I tried.

He was luckily able to swap it and ended up with an identical SS T3 to mine. Immed shot well with several loads.

This experience could easily have been a one-off. I know two guys who consider Howas a useful action as the basis for a custom gun (after some truing)

Chris-NZ

Guest 6.5 X 55

Just run in my howa in .204 even with factory 32gr it will do bullets touching at 100 yard, use to own one in 22-250 a while back this also was very good with factory but would only shoot norma and sako.

Just put in my variationa dn a deposit ona used HOWA 204 varmint barrel and thumbhole stock...Cant wait

I have a SS one in .270 and my mate liked it so much he got one in .223.

Both shoot great,

His one came with a rubberish camo stock that made it throw bullets everywhere. He changed it to a thumbhole laminate and it's down to 1/2 MOA with a fairly crude load...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 6.5 X 55

Just put in my variationa dn a deposit ona used HOWA 204 varmint barrel and thumbhole stock...Cant wait

And here it is :)

Got a DM80 for it too but not shown in the picture..

post-10775-078539200 1322666292_thumb.jpg

Guest 6.5 X 55

Nice looking rifle where are you living you have snow already:blink:

:) This was the pic the previous owner took of it when he bought it last December. No snow just yet but its coming!!!!

Just run in my howa in .204 even with factory 32gr it will do bullets touching at 100 yard, use to own one in 22-250 a while back this also was very good with factory but would only shoot norma and sako.

I found the same with the Howa .204 I had. 32g factory rounds were always sub .5MOA.

Guest 6.5 X 55

I found the same with the Howa .204 I had. 32g factory rounds were always sub .5MOA.

Took it out for a test run in the rain on Sunday adn found one 32g round that shot a group 1/2cm dia at 100 yards. very happy with it.

Guest 6.5 X 55

Had another couple of hours trying out some more home loads on my HOWA .204 . Very happy with the accuracy again. Both the 32g VMAX and Noslers had a cloverleaf group at 100 yards with a max load of Varget flying at 3800 ft/sec. Moved back to 200 yards and the VMAX opened up to just over an inch but the Noslers were unbelievable with 3 shots virtually touching in a line. my mate went and got the target board for me and on his way back shouted “what the hell were the last 3 you shot?????” Couldn't believe it, not bad off a bipod and a bag on the rear with a max 16 mag scope. Also managed to find a better load for the 40g VMAX, had a cloverleaf with 3 shots at 100 yards but 2 others were apx an inch adrift (possibly pulled by me)...Look out Mr fox.

Had another couple of hours trying out some more home loads on my HOWA .204 . Very happy with the accuracy again. Both the 32g VMAX and Noslers had a cloverleaf group at 100 yards with a max load of Varget flying at 3800 ft/sec. Moved back to 200 yards and the VMAX opened up to just over an inch but the Noslers were unbelievable with 3 shots virtually touching in a line. my mate went and got the target board for me and on his way back shouted “what the hell were the last 3 you shot?????” Couldn't believe it, not bad off a bipod and a bag on the rear with a max 16 mag scope. Also managed to find a better load for the 40g VMAX, had a cloverleaf with 3 shots at 100 yards but 2 others were apx an inch adrift (possibly pulled by me)...Look out Mr fox.

Good write up, sounds like a nice round and rifle, whats the twist rate?

ATB

Bobbo.

Archived