barrel vice

1967spud

thinking of my next project and will possibly need to start using a brrel vice for removial and refitting

Any advice please, i ve been advised to get a Davidson vice well i think it was that one but any info would be good

Hi Spud,

The Davidson Barrel Vice is OK but it is made of aluminium and a little light for continuous workshop use. I use a Brownells steel barrel vice with the appropriate 'shells' (either bought or made) for different diameters and profiles. Before breeching or de-breeching, the vice is secured by a 10 ton hydraulic bench press to avoid slipping or any movement. The press itself is mounted on a sturdy bench to place the action wrench at a convenient height. Hope this is of some assistance,

Alan

I use a Davidson and its fine for switch barrels.

For custom actions its fine. Don't need industrial strength to get off seized on Remy or CZ barrels!

Just remember to put an anti seize compound on the threads before fitting and to keep them clean and you should heve no problems.

Cheers

Dave

I use a Davidson and its fine for switch barrels.

For custom actions its fine. Don't need industrial strength to get off seized on Remy or CZ barrels!

Just remember to put an anti seize compound on the threads before fitting and to keep them clean and you should heve no problems.

Cheers

Dave

How easy is the while operation Dave?

Very easy to use. I just G clamp it to my bench and away to go.

Can swap a barrel over in a matter of minutes.

Cheers

Dave

How stressful is the actuall swapping

Sorry Mark was in a funny mood last night.

Changing barrels is a very easy process, much like screwing a moderater on.

Like any job if you have the right tools to hand its not a problem.

With an action like your BAT it would be simple.

You will need to rezero the rifle after.

Cheers

Dave

ok thanks Dave variation goes in today for a extra calibres , for a switch barrel rifle on my two comp bangers

Archived