Redding Seating Die Marking Bullets

AnthonyR

I have noticed that my Redding Competition 22-250 seating die is leaving a ring around the head of my 53gr V-Max after seating, I am trying to be as light handed with the press as possible but no matter what I do it still leaves the ring, seems to be putting all the pressure at that point.

Rifle is not grouping as well as I would like and I am getting a few fliers, although I have just changed over to a brand new batch of Lapua brass and am still fire forming the brass. The necks are definately thicker on the Lapua from my old Norma and I have increased the bushing size by 2 thou to allow for this, otherwise everthing is the same.

Hi,,,you could take out the bullet seater bit that makes contact with the bullet and put in a drill or small lathe etc and polish off[fine emery then wire wool] the sharp edge that makes contact with the bullet head on seating,,,,Ive done this on all my comp sets and it certainly helps .,,,you could perhaps double check what bushing you are using as you may still be oversizing?,,,go up another size,,,may make all the difference.Another step in the case prep that I do is to carefully chamfer and wire wool polish the mouth of the case neck as this also reduces the pressure needed to start the head into the neck.Regds onehole.

Hi,,,you could take out the bullet seater bit that makes contact with the bullet and put in a drill or small lathe etc and polish off[fine emery then wire wool] the sharp edge that makes contact with the bullet head on seating,,,,Ive done this on all my comp sets and it certainly helps .,,,you could perhaps double check what bushing you are using as you may still be oversizing?,,,go up another size,,,may make all the difference.Another step in the case prep that I do is to carefully chamfer and wire wool polish the mouth of the case neck as this also reduces the pressure needed to start the head into the neck.Regds onehole.

DO as this man says and all will be well-the bushing if too small and giving too much neck tension will leave the marks and could affect the bc. and grouping to a degree i have 4 sets of s-type dies and did what onehole suggest and all is fine with my loading.

Thanks for the replies.

I have stripped the seating die and will have a go at polishing the leading edge.

Thinking about it I do think I am using more force on the press arm to seat the bullets so will have a try a bigger bushing as well. Already using my largest one, yet more retail therapy then.

I don't think I will ever save money at reloading, any savings are immediately blown on more gear. :)

Archived