not shooting right

BOB LEE SWAGGER

hi all

can any one help with this i went out this aft to walk my rifle in from 100 to 400 yds as there was little or no wind conditions were ideal got it hitting an inch high at 100 and bang on at 200 so i moved out to 300 and first shot dropped 12 inches ok so going on the math of 1click will move my crosshair up a quater inch at 100 half inch at 200 and three quater inch at 300 i worked it out to come up 17 clicks took another shot 2in high thought to myself its getting there so came down 3clicks 1 and half inches high came down another 2 clicks 1 and half inches high thought what hell going on heretook shot at seperate mark on same target no alteration of scope three inches high so took another shot at fray bentos pie tin that i had tacked to another post missed it time was going on now as being alone i had to walk down after each shot evaluate it and patch out my target so each shot was cold bore so 223 savage 12 bvss 60g v max 25.5g reloader 15 federal case cci br primer 13 rounds fired last 6 from 300yd mark niteforce 5.5x22x50 on full x22 mag could this be somthing simple like dirty barrell it was clean and dry when i started but forgot to take my bore snake with me

any advice will be gratefully recieved please dont say get a new rifle:lol: regards B L S

First step: What group size do you normally (not 'best ever': normally) get at 300yds under the same conditions?

If it's a real-world 2 MOA -6" group ---ie 1 shot 3" higher than POA; then next shot could be 3" lower than POA randomly

or 1MOA - 3" group......random dispersion 1.5" higher and lower than POA

...that could be all you're seeing ....1st shot could be what would have been 'bottom' of a group; adjust down.....and then next shot is what would have been 'top' of a group.

Don't chase the error; establish a definite MPI and then adjust that. :)

Is the twist rate fast enough to stabilise your 60 grainer's Bob?

hi andy yea mate i would think twist rate ok its 1 in 9 i dropped down to 60g cos i had trouble with 75g a max leaving imprints in my target like they hit it sideways on and that is an indication of not stabilising i was also at 300 yds when that happend and i remember getting that fed up i had a row of 40g nosler bt in my ammo box and out of frustration i shoved one up the spout and let fly at a shotgun clay that my mate had put up earlier and smashed it dead center which surprised me cos the shot was taken hastily and in anger so i might try a few more of them i want to try get out to 400 if i can thats why i stepped up my bullet weight browndog just posted me i will try sticking it out with the 60g like he says and if no good drop back best regards and many thanks B L S

First step: What group size do you normally (not 'best ever': normally) get at 300yds under the same conditions?

If it's a real-world 2 MOA -6" group ---ie 1 shot 3" higher than POA; then next shot could be 3" lower than POA randomly

or 1MOA - 3" group......random dispersion 1.5" higher and lower than POA

...that could be all you're seeing ....1st shot could be what would have been 'bottom' of a group; adjust down.....and then next shot is what would have been 'top' of a group.

Don't chase the error; establish a definite MPI and then adjust that. :)

hi brown dog in answer to your first step question i cant answer because i havnt shot a group at 300 yds that is wot i was hoping to do but because the way it was going i had to call it a day i have had keyhole group at 100 on the range with these 60g vmax at 300 today first shot was fine 2in above center after i had alterd my elevation cos of the 12in drop from 2 to 300 then it just all went to ratshit but like u suggest i will go again next fine day and try a group at 300 instead of chasing shots many thanks for your help let u know outcome best regards B L S

TOLD MY RFD BOUT MY PROBLEM AT 300 YDS ROUNDS GOING HIGH ALTERD CLICKS DOWN STILL GOING HIGH HE ASK ME IF MY MUZZLE BRAKE WAS LOOSE AND I REMEMBER WHEN I GOT HOME TO CLEAN RIFLE BRAKE WAS BIT LOOSE HE TOLD ME TRY AGAIN MAKE SURE BRAKE IS TIGHT OK FAIR ENOUGH BUT HE ALSO TOLD ME TO USE MY MODERATOR INSTEAD AS I WILL GET BETTER ACCURACY AND TIGHTER GROUP IS THIS TRUE GENTS WOT SAY YOU REGARDS B L S

Don't think you'll be able to see a difference on paper between a moderator and a muzzle brake.

But both will give you groups that look like mad woman's shite if they're loose..

thankyou brown dog i will make sure all is tight this time round regards BLS

Archived