Handloading a Blaser

NICK

Gents.

I have been asked by a friend to help him start Handloading. He shoots a Blaser in 22-250. I have only ever loaded for Bolt Action Rifles and want to ask if there is a anything parculiar to handloading the Baser?

Should i only ever full length size or is it ok to neck size?

If i full size do i take the case back to SAAMI or just bump the shoulder a couple of thou?

I realise the Blaser does not have the Camming action of a Bolt action so Tips and advice would be most welcome.

Also he is writing out his Shopping list for loading gear so any suggestions on Dies and Equipment would nice too.

Thanks.

NICK.

Gents.

I have been asked by a friend to help him start Handloading. He shoots a Blaser in 22-250. I have only ever loaded for Bolt Action Rifles and want to ask if there is a anything parculiar to handloading the Baser?

Should i only ever full length size or is it ok to neck size?

If i full size do i take the case back to SAAMI or just bump the shoulder a couple of thou?

I realise the Blaser does not have the Camming action of a Bolt action so Tips and advice would be most welcome.

Also he is writing out his Shopping list for loading gear so any suggestions on Dies and Equipment would nice too.

Thanks.

NICK.

I have not loaded for a Blaser, but I load for semi auto rifles. You will probably need a small based sizer die and then use either full length resizing or partial FL resizing.~Andrew

full length size every time, i have and still do load for R93's in 22-250, .243, 25-06 and .308, have shot 100's of homeloads in many different barrels, only had 1 problem with sizing/die adjustment when a batch of many times fired .243's wouldnt work. the r93 has a "second" click when the bolt is pushed forward, and if it doesnt engage properly it will not fire (not actually a missfire - bolt just isnt closed - safety feature kicking in).

as for reloading, a max load of hogdens "whatever suits" set 10-20 thou off will normally produce sub .5 moa groups, i find them quite boring to load develop for as everything works well.

my current 25-06 barrel, screwcut for me by someone of this site who borescoped it and discribed it as "a bit pitted and rusty" shoots sub 1" at 200Y with moderator on or off, and those bullets are set 296 thou off because of the mag restriction.

my 22-250 load was 41gn h380 set 16 thou off, it was a bit quick/hot so start low and work up as always. i regularly shot winged vermin 350y+ using a nightforce np2-dd.

full length size every time, i have and still do load for R93's in 22-250, .243, 25-06 and .308, have shot 100's of homeloads in many different barrels, only had 1 problem with sizing/die adjustment when a batch of many times fired .243's wouldnt work. the r93 has a "second" click when the bolt is pushed forward, and if it doesnt engage properly it will not fire (not actually a missfire - bolt just isnt closed - safety feature kicking in).

as for reloading, a max load of hogdens "whatever suits" set 10-20 thou off will normally produce sub .5 moa groups, i find them quite boring to load develop for as everything works well.

my current 25-06 barrel, screwcut for me by someone of this site who borescoped it and discribed it as "a bit pitted and rusty" shoots sub 1" at 200Y with moderator on or off, and those bullets are set 296 thou off because of the mag restriction.

my 22-250 load was 41gn h380 set 16 thou off, it was a bit quick/hot so start low and work up as always. i regularly shot winged vermin 350y+ using a nightforce np2-dd.

I reload my R8 in 243 and 308 and don't do anything different than when loading for my Sauer (223). My 243 has used about 350 rounds, mostly 75gn Vmax for fox, plus some 95gn Nosler BT's for Roe. The 308 has only used about 50 rounds. I've never had a missfire, but as stated, you must close the bolt properly! I'm currently using Sako brass which I full sized first time round and then neck sized on subsequent reloads. The 243 brass has done 7 reloads and still going strong. RCBS standard dies, bullet seated 25 thou off the lands. As stated above, any thing half decent seems to work!

I reload my R8 in 243 and 308 and don't do anything different than when loading for my Sauer (223). My 243 has used about 350 rounds, mostly 75gn Vmax for fox, plus some 95gn Nosler BT's for Roe. The 308 has only used about 50 rounds. I've never had a missfire, but as stated, you must close the bolt properly! I'm currently using Sako brass which I full sized first time round and then neck sized on subsequent reloads. The 243 brass has done 7 reloads and still going strong. RCBS standard dies, bullet seated 25 thou off the lands. As stated above, any thing half decent seems to work!

Uuugh; don't want to get into one of those "well, my Blaser is perfect" debates :rolleyes::)

If you don't squash the shoulder back down, pretty soon the collett won't be able to close properly (because the lengthened case will stop it from doing so) and, quite properly, the mechanism will not fire.

I've owned 3 :)

Be interested in re-visiting your misfire thoughts when you've put 500 rather than 50rds through it - as long as you include the "didn't shoot but I'm going to blame not closing the bolt properly" failures to go bang too :)

Hi Nick,

As mentioned on previous posts, partial sizing with your F/L die is the best way to ensure maximum case life and allow the bolt to function correctly. A little experimentation will allow you to set the die for the minimum of re-sizing. Many years ago I carried out some reloading experiments on behalf of the original Blaser importers, if you neck size only eventually the bolt will not lock up or fire,

Best regards

Alan

Gents.

Excellent replies and some good pointers, thank you very much.

I am not a fan myself. Ever since i heard the stories of them not locking correctly and blowing the Bolt back i have always looked on them with a degree of suspicion.

Were these just internet rumours with no evidence ever produced to support this or did\do they sometimes have a problem? I realise its easy for someone to over load and then blame the Rifle when things go wrong.

Nick.

Uuugh; don't want to get into one of those "well, my Blaser is perfect" debates :rolleyes::)

If you don't squash the shoulder back down, pretty soon the collett won't be able to close properly (because the lengthened case will stop it from doing so) and, quite properly, the mechanism will not fire.

I've owned 3 :)

Be interested in re-visiting your misfire thoughts when you've put 500 rather than 50rds through it - as long as you include the "didn't shoot but I'm going to blame not closing the bolt properly" failures to go bang too :)

Hello Brown Dog,

I also don't want to get into a 'Blaser debate', but I have given my experience to date, with the 243 using about 350 rounds. However, thanks for the warning, I will now know whats wrong when the problem arrives!

Archived