Swiss Arms SHR970

Brummy Mark

Hi all,

Well after a short spell with a Remmy 700 police in .223, which I did have some very good shooting with, both long range paper and normal range foxing, I found it was just a tad too heavy and was always eying up some of the lighter rifles.

Anyway, long story short, I spotted a mint condition Swiss Arms SHR970 Alpin in .223 and a deal was struck. (thanks to the great guys at Gwynedd/Valley Arms).

One thing that was a bit concerning was the extremely light trigger pull. The actual trigger blade has a small hexhead screw in it that appears to be some way of setting the forward push of the set trigger. After many permutations of trying to reset the trigger it still has a very light pull, and I mean light! great for targets but crap for hunting.

Now I have found all the info on the rifle as its the same as the Sauer SHR970, but there is nothing in the manula about how the set-trigger works.

I have phoned and emailed Swiss Arms but have heard nothing back yet.

Does anyone have any info on the set trigger settings?

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

Well after a short spell with a Remmy 700 police in .223, which I did have some very good shooting with, both long range paper and normal range foxing, I found it was just a tad too heavy and was always eying up some of the lighter rifles.

Anyway, long story short, I spotted a mint condition Swiss Arms SHR970 Alpin in .223 and a deal was struck. (thanks to the great guys at Gwynedd/Valley Arms).

One thing that was a bit concerning was the extremely light trigger pull. The actual trigger blade has a small hexhead screw in it that appears to be some way of setting the forward push of the set trigger. After many permutations of trying to reset the trigger it still has a very light pull, and I mean light! great for targets but crap for hunting.

Now I have found all the info on the rifle as its the same as the Sauer SHR970, but there is nothing in the manula about how the set-trigger works.

Thanks in advance

A cracking rifle mate. I had 1 in 25-06 and loved it to bits. Mines didnt have a set trigger but if I can recolect there was a small screw above the trigger on the mechanism which had a small locking nut on it. It was a sod to get set properly, but I lightened mine as I like a light trigger. It was a case of slacken the nut then trial and error then hold the screw in the chosen position whilst the nut was tightened. The rifle was sold on through this site, if I remember correct.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately the trigger on the SHR970 has gone through various design and production changes during the course of manufacture. The original importers asked me to take a look at the first batch of approx. 30 rifles, of these only 2 were safe to use out of the box. The others had upto 12 pound trigger pulls, fired on safe and other problems. I was able to fix 5 or 6, the others went back to Switzerland. The only advice I can safely give is to take it to a competent riflesmith who can strip the rifle down on the bench and figure out the various trigger settings,

Best regards

Alan

HI both,

Thanks for your thoughts, nuttyspaniel Im glad yours was a cracker, im looking forwards to getting my mitts on this once my ticket comes back from variation.

Alan, the safety works just fine, I basically drop tested it with the safety in both positions and also with the safety off.

The pin never fired even after 3 drops from waist height on to the butt section on a solid floor! much to the amusement of Dave in the shop :)

When looking at the trigger unit, it only has one visible hex head grub screw and thats in the trigger blade, there was a round blunt metal pin that stuck out of the front of the trigger unit. The whole unit appeared to be a sealed unit that had not been tampered with.

The weight of pull is so light that you would only just get a dent in your finger with the gentlest of touches, I wouldn't say you had to 'pull' this trigger :o

Edited to mention the serial number is J01922 fi that means anything to you Alan?

HI both,

Thanks for your thoughts, nuttyspaniel Im glad yours was a cracker, im looking forwards to getting my mitts on this once my ticket comes back from variation.

Alan, the safety works just fine, I basically drop tested it with the safety in both positions and also with the safety off.

The pin never fired even after 3 drops from waist height on to the butt section on a solid floor! much to the amusement of Dave in the shop :)

When looking at the trigger unit, it only has one visible hex head grub screw and thats in the trigger blade, there was a round blunt metal pin that stuck out of the front of the trigger unit. The whole unit appeared to be a sealed unit that had not been tampered with.

The weight of pull is so light that you would only just get a dent in your finger with the gentlest of touches, I wouldn't say you had to 'pull' this trigger :o

Edited to mention the serial number is J01922 fi that means anything to you Alan?

Hi Mark,

It was umpteen years ago when I worked on the SHR's. The info. I have is from memory only! The triggers were designed as a 'sealed unit', not intended for consumer adjustment except for the set trigger adjustment. As you mentioned the socket screw in the trigger blade is for this purpose. The early triggers were supposed to be set to approx. 3,1/2 lbs while the later models were about 2,1/2 lbs. The later triggers had 3 screws, 2 in front for weight of pull and over travel, sear engagement was adjusted from the rear, a similar arrangement to the Rem. M700. Production of these rifles ceased in about 2005 while parts were available until about 2008. If you Google 'SHR970 Instructions' SigArms USA has the owners manual available as a PDF file. However it has no info. on trigger adjustment except a warning against consumers attempting adjustment. I hope that this is of a little assistance, if you were local I could sort this for you,

Best regards

Alan

Archived