Ruger Scout scope

gazzar15

Gents

I have been admiring the new Scout rifle from Ruger,thinking I wish they made it in lefty configuration....... I discovered a few weeks ago that they do and although it will take a couple of months to get here I can have one, so it is now ordered. The only thing that has me curious is the scope position. The picatinny rail is mounted forward of the receiver and I am wondering what would be the best scope to get for it. My shooting ambitions for this rifle will be target shooting out to medium range ,stalking and high seat work with some boar shooting when I get it sorted. I have a couple of nice red dot sights but looking for a more traditional type scope with up to circa 16 x.

Thanks

gary

Gents

I have been admiring the new Scout rifle from Ruger,thinking I wish they made it in lefty configuration....... I discovered a few weeks ago that they do and although it will take a couple of months to get here I can have one, so it is now ordered. The only thing that has me curious is the scope position. The picatinny rail is mounted forward of the receiver and I am wondering what would be the best scope to get for it. My shooting ambitions for this rifle will be target shooting out to medium range ,stalking and high seat work with some boar shooting when I get it sorted. I have a couple of nice red dot sights but looking for a more traditional type scope with up to circa 16 x.

Thanks

gary

Gary,

No ideas on the scope I'm afraid, but I'd be keen to have a look at the rifle - do you have a link?

You need an extended eye relief scope for the "scout" set up. I hate to ask, but did you read any reviews of this rifle before you ordered it? The two I read danced around the fact that it wasn't very accurate.~Andrew

Hi Andrew

I have read a couple of reviews on the rifle and although not a bullet on bullet tackdriver they were using Black Hills 168 g ammo and grouping into 1.5 '' at 100 yds.

I feel that with reloads that could be bettered and if I can get it to shoot say a 2'' group at 200 yds I will be happy enough for the purpose I have in mind. Can you name a scope brand/model that has a long eye relief ??

Thanks

Gary

Blimey, it looks like a modern No5 !

I have to say, I like the look of it. Quite a 'retreat to the hills' survival feel.

Not sure what I would use it for though!

May I ask what sort of price it is by the time it gets here?

Hi,

Nice looking bit of kit, I was looking at them in USA a couple of weeks ago.

The whole Scout rifle concept is probably worth researching and I'm sure lots of links will lead to the name of Jeff Cooper. I'll start you off for with this link http://jeffcoopersscoutrifles.blogspot.com/

p.s. a google search for "scout rifle scopes" throws up lots of links for extended eye relief or EER scopes, including Leupold, Burris, Bushnell etc.

Jeff Cooper is my all time Hero.

As a pistol shooter back in the 80s and 90s i followed his work and collected his books. He was the driving force behind the Scout Rifle concept which concluded in the Steyr Scout. He extoled the virtues of the long eye relief scope and reserve ghost ring iron sites. The scope is to be used both eyes open and offers fast target aquisition. Leupold offered an - in this format, not sure if they still do.

I shot one on a Steyr Scout and to be honest it did not impress. I bought into the `romance` of the scout scope but in reality i cant see any application for it in traditional UK stalking. In my opinion it is just not up to precision shooting at distance.

On the Steyr you could just mount a traditional scope as the rail comes back over the action. I am not sure that the Ruger offers this.

Nick

Jeff Cooper is my all time Hero.

As a pistol shooter back in the 80s and 90s i followed his work and collected his books. He was the driving force behind the Scout Rifle concept which concluded in the Steyr Scout. He extoled the virtues of the long eye relief scope and reserve ghost ring iron sites. The scope is to be used both eyes open and offers fast target aquisition. Leupold offered an - in this format, not sure if they still do.

I shot one on a Steyr Scout and to be honest it did not impress. I bought into the `romance` of the scout scope but in reality i cant see any application for it in traditional UK stalking. In my opinion it is just not up to precision shooting at distance.

On the Steyr you could just mount a traditional scope as the rail comes back over the action. I am not sure that the Ruger offers this.

Nick

Yes

I must agree that although it does look cool I have been doing some web-searching on the topic yesterday and it would seem that most of what is available are in fact handgun scopes.If you remove the rear sight you can then use Ruger mounts to install a traditional scope. I think I may well go this route.I too was (and still am in some jurisdictions) an avid pistol shot and I followed ''Coopers corner '' in guns and ammo

every month. I always subscribed to the scout rifle concept but apart from a custom offering this is the first time a major manufacturer has come up with the goods in a lefty format

Gazzar.

Leupold still offer the - 2.5x28 scout scope. $220 from Midway USA.

I too am a Leftie so could not go down the Steyr Scout route, so i can see why the Ruger got your attention.

You need to go to Amazon and treat yourself to the "Gargantuan Gunsight Gossip". An epic read.

Good luck with the Ruger, please keep us posted when it arrives. Piccies and range reports would be nice and also how it performs in the Field.:)

Nick.

Gazzar.

Leupold still offer the - 2.5x28 scout scope. $220 from Midway USA.

I too am a Leftie so could not go down the Steyr Scout route, so i can see why the Ruger got your attention.

You need to go to Amazon and treat yourself to the "Gargantuan Gunsight Gossip". An epic read.

Good luck with the Ruger, please keep us posted when it arrives. Piccies and range reports would be nice and also how it performs in the Field.:)

Nick.

I will sort a review when it lands and I have done a stint on the range .

Archived