Just 17....

PaulB

Earlier this year i was considering a 17hmr, rabbiting was on the menu but the ground became so hard with the dry weather richocets from the .22 made it almost impossible to do safely, more recently i read an article about the 17ackley hornet, which has kind of taken my fancy :) and I know some of the guys here have one so I'd like to hear about them ;) also while researching the 17AH I came across the 17-218 ackley bee :D:lol: you can see where this is going anyone got / had a 17abee

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w17bee.html

your thoughts please

Thanks for the reply Panther, the 17fireball / mk4 looks an interesting round however my intentions are to keep the case size down, I'm not after fantastically blistering speeds, just a round which is reasonably quiet and accurate /flat out 180 / 200 yards ish. Saying that I've not yet discounted the fireball just want to no more on the 218.

So does no one no nowt about the 17-218??

Also to add to that so far the articles I've read on the mk4 seem to suggest long barrel lengths, which combined with a mod will make for a very looong rifle, I'm thinking more along the lines of 18 20 inch at a push :huh:

PaulB

A pal built a 17Ackley Hornet and after seeing it operate I ordered one within a few days, I was that impressed. This was not really as spontaneous as it sounds as I'd been researching for some time and as first port of call I'd suggest you look at http://www.woodchuckden.com/ and go from there.

The proprietor, Todd Kindler, is the fount of all knowledge on sub-22 calibres and his book "Sensational Seventeens" gives ballistic data and comments on the 17 Ackley Bee and the even more wildcat 17 HeBe.

Thoughts:

* this is a rimmed cartridge and I don't know of any action/magazine that will feed it. The only examples I've seen of either 218 or 17 Bee were all single shot.

* Not too much in the way of good quality brass.

* You'd need special (read expensive) dies and might need to neckturn. Does anyone in the UK have a reamer? Try Norman Clark as he seems to have lots and lots.

* You'd be ploughing a fairly lonely furrow with this cartridge as I don't suppose there are many others in the UK using this chambering. That might also be a problem if ever you wanted to sell.

Also have a look on http://www.saubier.com/ as they do lots on small calibre stuff.

Keep us posted.

Cornishman

I've been shooting a 17 ackley hornet for about a year and I'm still amazed at how effective the little round is,if you are looking for a round to give you solid 200yard performance the 17 ack is all you need and more.

Thanks for the replys guys!

Thoughts:

* this is a rimmed cartridge and I don't know of any action/magazine that will feed it. The only examples I've seen of either 218 or 17 Bee were all single shot.

* Not too much in the way of good quality brass.

* You'd need special (read expensive) dies and might need to neckturn. Does anyone in the UK have a reamer? Try Norman Clark as he seems to have lots and lots.

* You'd be ploughing a fairly lonely furrow with this cartridge as I don't suppose there are many others in the UK using this chambering. That might also be a problem if ever you wanted to sell.

Also have a look on http://www.saubier.com/ as they do lots on small calibre stuff.

cornishman

everything that i researched so far has pointed to the 218 / 17 being used in TC's or encores so you may well be correct re the single shot, been looking / researching a lot on saubier, thanks for the link anyway :lol: , brass doesn't seem to be much of a problem just an expense, preformed 17-218AB is about £7 / 20, and a little cheaper for straight 218 brass, I hear what your saying about the dies!

Paul im using a Fireball 221 chosen on the merits that your looking for, quite, flat shooting to 180 plus low powder use and small case and bungee accurate but that`s down to the user ;)

:lol:;) the .223 is accurate enough Vim, just a little on the noisy side :P

I have a 17Ah also case forming is no problem,you can use the two die form set or just run the case into the seating die with the stem removed if you do not want to buy the form die set.As Pnse said you wont actually beleive how well this little round performs and drops things upto the size of a fox out to 200yards.If you dont want the hassle of case forming the 17 fireball would be a good alternative,it will still be very quiet compared to something like a 223.

If you dont want the hassle of buying dedicated 17 cal reloading gear such as funnels, trimmer cutter heads etc then the 221 fireball would also be a good choice as Vim suggests,18 grains of powder behind a 40 grain V-Max makes a quiet effective combo.

17 AH pic

IMG_17ah0005.jpg

Guest 308Panther

Over here we dont put alot of faith in Ackley...

To much fiddlin around.

And if ya go to sell the rifle no dealer

wants them either.You literally give the gun away.

The more commercial calibers work much better

because if worse came to worse you can get ammo from a hardware store,

And your back out huntin again.

You would be surprised at what a Mom&Pop Hardware store has on the shelves

over here.

308Panther

Over here we dont put alot of faith in Ackley...

To much fiddlin around.

And if ya go to sell the rifle no dealer

wants them either.You literally give the gun away.

The more commercial calibers work much better

because if worse came to worse you can get ammo from a hardware store,

And your back out huntin again.

You would be surprised at what a Mom&Pop Hardware store has on the shelves

over here.

308Panther

I hear what your saying Panther :D , things are different round here, second hand rifle prices tend to be quite poor regardless of cal, although I've no doubt that a wild cat cal would lower that still, we can only buy ammo from a registered firearms dealer ( not strictly true, but good enough!) I have 3 local 'rfds', the first is 10 mins away, last time i went there and asked for .223 he didn't have any ''I've got some .222 is that any good'' :blink::blink: ?? i don't go there anymore :lol: , the second is 25 mins away, he stocks .223 but only in 45g jhp's or 55g psp's, no poly tips, the third stocks polymer tip .223 but is an hours drive away, 2hours 15min there-time in the shop-back, it's just quicker to reload :D

Guest 308Panther

.222 for .223? OMG....Even bein a smarta+s that still an eye roller.

See what ya mean about rollin yer own.

There is a Lil True Value Hardware store over by the folks in the

Town of Trempeleau called Moe's True Value...

He had one of these on the wall over the back counter...

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn01-e.htm

You guys would just love this place.

And my heart gets broken every time I go there.

I must fall in love at least 5 times during every visit.

He also has a glass case full of every maker of 1911 that you can think of.

The next tier up is all SAA looked like mostley Gen 3 stuff but wouldnt be

suprised to see a Black Powder one in there at all...

An ammo display that would melt the coldest of hearts...

Just a really cool place.

When 6ppc first posted that vid,I teased him about if that was all the noise that

air rifle on steroids made he better keep it on that side of the pond...

That thing would get me into alot of trouble....somethin about the

population of cats turnin into dead cats.

309Panther

.222 for .223? OMG....Even bein a smarta+s that still an eye roller.

See what ya mean about rollin yer own.

I kid yer not!!, my mate bought 250 '12'gauge carts off him, that weekend he opened them up and realised they were 16gauge :blink: had to borrow cartridges all day off the other pegs :blink:

Mmmmmm nice wall piece :D:lol:

Guest 308Panther
I my mate bought 250 '12'gauge carts off him, that weekend he opened them up and realised they were 16gauge

Thats not funny,that aint a joke...and that is a damned good way to hurt someone.

I hope you buddy went back and chewd some ass!!!

And at least got his money back.

This guy is licensed to sell ammo?

Be doin ya all a favor if he closed up.

308Panther

Guest 308Panther
i'm sure 16 bore are worth way more than twelves. He got a bargain :blink:

I dont recall the last time I saw 16ga shells for sale...

And it was about 5 years ago I last saw someone carrying a 16....

And it was an older Browning A5 Sweet 16 too...Offered the guy

$400 on the spot and he wouldnt take it.

But its no joke how a 16ga shell can jam up 12ga gun.

Back to the 17's. Having owned most of them I'd sincerely recommend the 17 Fireball (Mach IV). If you want less power, load it down a bit. You will save yourself an immense amount of grief by choosing this superb, small capacity, factory cartridge. I built a Mach IV in 1981 back when there was ONE bullet and damned few suitable powders. It was my favorite 17 by far. If someone hadn't offered me too much money for it I'd still have it.~Andrew

Archived