Just put my rifle back together; this time with the addition of a bubble level.

Managed to convince myself that the bubble level was mis-reading, then that the scope wasn't vertical (went through that particular iteration several times :rolleyes: )

In the end, having got the scope 'straight' on the rifle, still found the bubble reading to be off a smidge.

Soo...decided to hang a weight in the garden to get true vertical.

Best pics I could manage - but blimey, I must have been shooting a smidge canted all these years:

ret against plumbline:

P1000205650x483.jpg

without touching the rifle, the bubble position:

P1000207650x488.jpg

You really do need to fit those B square things to your rifle, you just cannot screw them on and forget it in my experience. I have fitted three this last year and all of them were out. My favourite is a 34mm ring based thing I got from Sporting Services, just rotate it until it is right, I also use slips under the 'scope to prove parallel to the rail.

BTW - when you said Cant I immediately thought of my e-wife as it was her pet name for me.... :blink:

EDIT - Forgot to say, add a smidge of epoxy to the end as the tubes drop out as well.

You really do need to fit those B square things to your rifle, you just cannot screw them on and forget it in my experience. I have fitted three this last year and all of them were out. My favourite is a 34mm ring based thing I got from Sporting Services, just rotate it until it is right, I also use slips under the 'scope to prove parallel to the rail.

BTW - when you said Cant I immediately thought of my e-wife as it was her pet name for me.... :blink:

EDIT - Forgot to say, add a smidge of epoxy to the end as the tubes drop out as well.

Yup, it's what I'm called in London too :lol:

Thanks for the epoxy tip. What else did you do to set yours up?

Whats the tape your using on your Schmidt, I have been thinking of using similar stuff myself.

NBC tape, also called sniper tape and recce tape. Make sure you get the real stuff, comes off without leaving a residue (the roll will have lots of little red 'S's and 'Scapa' printed all over the inside surface of the cardboard tube)

Set up is really just a matter of making sure the tube is in the middle then stand it on end and add some epoxy to keep it in place then taking a needle file to the seating area and very carefully getting it to sit parallel to the 'scope rail. Take care when tightening the cap head up as the end sections can shear off!

I have since built a folding version of my own ala USOptics so it can be swung out of the way when not in use as they are quite vulnerable. They were a great buy at the thirteen odd quid each I got them for but I do think you would be better off with one of these for GBP30 (Yes the picture is up side down as well)

anticant.jpg

Gear_USO_swivbase02WEB.jpg

Thing I like about this one is I can see it in the firing position with my non-aiming eye...guessing you can't with the ring solution?

I just bob my head up very slightly to confirm I am correct, regardless of location they do help. I was caught out estimating distances twice today due to bad weather and the Leica's refused to give me a solution due torrential rain plus the target area was running down to the left by 3-4 degrees, cue the cant device.

I was shooting Fig 14's at 610m with two to three second exposures, always fun regardless of weather. :rolleyes:

Archived