Sako L579

Streeker59

Hi Guys. Does anyone have any experience with the Sako L579 action.

Is it a modified mauser or original design ?

I've seen a custom .308 L579, Border/Mac combo for sale. Would it give a TRG a run for its money i wonder ?

Any opinion appreciated...

The L579 is quite a small light action. Bolt is smaller in diameter than for example a Howa bolt.

I put huge ammount of work in my 579 to get it right. Was pissed off when at the last comp

the little spring in the bolt release catch broke and the cases wouldn't eject.

I for one am not really convinced of the steel quality of the sixties and would prefer

a more modern action. I only did this one as it has been in our family since around 71.

Wouldn't do another, to much messing around to get a stock or other bits to fit.

The design of the action is possibly better than of later Sako's.

Mag conversion on the L579

My link

edi

My experience with the L579 was in SA, when I was given one for my first two shots there

hogswinmod70.jpg

the rifle in the picture started life as a .308Win and was chambered for .243. It is on its 4th barrel and has killed more things than the bubonic plague...Last May we took the bolt apart and it was gleaming inside. The owner takes it with him every morning, shoots what needs shot around the farm, puts it back in the rack at night and does the same again the next day. I don't know when or if it was ever cleaned. It works flawlessly, its owner can hit a crow off-hand at 200yards and all of that with factory ammo and a 8x56 Swarovski on top.

If that don't say enough about the sturdiness of the action, I don't know what does...

best wishes,

Finman

Archived