Do-nut in fireformed 22-250 AI cases

Vermincinerator

I recently fireformed 60 new Norma 22-250 cases in my improved chamber. on inspection prior to case prep i noticed that nearly all have a do-nut preventing bullets seating further down then the neck/shoulder juncture.

I ordered a fluted carbide mandrel/cutter for my K&M neck turner which will cure the problem but was wandering if any of you guys who have improved chambers experienced anything like this. Thanks

Ian.

Hi Ian, I've had no problems forming my brass at all. Only difference is I used Remington brass.

Did you seat the heads deep enough into the lands to stabalise the case?

Cheers

Dave

No Dave i did not, When i headspaced the chamber i cut it so that it was a light crush fit on the factory brass thus eliminating the need to seat the bullets hard into the lands.

I think it could be the Norma brass, when i fired some factory Hornady it formed perfectly.

So far i am not impressed with the Norma brass, i am afraid to say it is not as good as it used to be.

Ian.

Guest northernchris

Yep i would say it isnt as good as it used to be :) and when its costing £60-£70 per 100 its not the cheapest out there either.Interestingly the brass from the Hornady factory ammo seems to be of better quality.When we fired 2 in Ians new rifle they formed very well compared to the Norma brass.

Ian, don't know if you neck turned the brass first but I always cut into the shoulder a little to prevent this - have a tight necked 22-250 Ai too and never experienced the problem.

Hi Ian

I was running Lapua 243 brass in my 243 ackley improved and never experinced that problem in the cases i used!!!

All the best...............

RAY............................... :D:)

Ronin,

I specified a minimum neck reamer, thinking that the Norma brass would be of similar quality as Lapua, so no neck turning was undertaken.

I have took delivery of the do-nut cutter/mandrel, set it up in the K&M neck turner and have started to get things sorted.

I decided to do a light neck clean up at the same time as cutting the do-nut and have so far noticed quite alot of inconsistent neck wall thickness with the Norma brass.

Now even less impressed :)

When are Lapua going to bring out 22-250 cases!! :D

Ian.

Laupa brass is some gear, when I was doing a clean up cut on my tac20 brass it seemed pontless as the cutter either didnt touch the neck or it cleaned the whole neck, very consistent stuff. I know thats of no help to you Ian but just thought I would throw it out there. I have been waiting for doughnuts to appear in my brass as I didnt cut into the necks a big lot but so far so good!

Ray,

I also used Lapua brass in my 243 AI and did not get any problems at all, most strange.

Ian.

Yes good stuff Ian :huh::lol:

Helped a good good friend when he bought a 243 ackley - Used lapua cases again to fireform and use with no problems there too!!

All the best................

RAY...................................... :D:lol:

When the Norma brass is made - part of the forming process is inside reaming of the case neck . If you section a unfired case you will see this . I have sized this brass down to 22 Br and the step is easy to see then .

Glenn

Glad to see your sorting the problem out, but it does sound a bit of a faff :blink:

Like you I'm really suprised that Lapua don't produce .22-250 brass.

I used just plain old Rem bulk brass @ £25 per 100 and prepped them and they formed just fine.

Just for your info the load which works superbly in my .22-250 Ackley is

43gn Vit N550 fed primer,52 Berger match BTHP 10 thou of lands, we put this over Rays chrono and it gives an average of 4030fps. You can aim dead on a rabbit out to 250yds its that flat :blink:

Cheers

Dave

Archived