Struggling to find a sensible 'scope for a rimmie, any ideas ?

pat

im assuming here that your talking bout using this perfect scope for target shooting???

to be honest & i do a fair bit of lamping with .22lr and i think even a 6x can be bit much

when your going for big numbers serious rabbit control under the lamp and the bunnies aint hanging bout then i found 10x etc as much use as tits on a bull coz the field of view was so narrow trying to quickly pick up on your target at night under lamp....

typical ranges anything from 10yds to 70yds ish....maybe wee bit more if rabbit willing to sit that wee bit longer.

i have a leupold vxi 3x9x40 and have it set at bout 4 to 5x power but got bit more if i need it....the reticule is ace under the lamp as is the glass.

when it comes to lamping i believe in kiss principle keep it simple stupid.

tried higher mag scopes.....doesnt work....too much faffing. when you need to be quick..up aquire .thump...rabbit in back ..carry on next! and bag numbers are what counts...keep em numbers down abit!!

sauer / paul

I'm with sauer on this.

x6 mag isn't a bad number for me but no more. I recently bought myself a Hawke endurance 3 - 10 x 40 off ebay. This is now a discontinued model and I had looked at it in a shop previously. Nothing fantastic but fit for purpose at £45 new, the shop wanted £75 :D

I'll agree. Six power is to much for me to shoot reliably off hand and not much needed for general small game hunting. I am also not going along with the notion that shooting at 180 proves scope deviation. It only takes warm air rising to roll a under-revved .22 round off of target and frankly, I have never seen a perfectly calm day. Most error in .22 shooting at distance is the fact that a 1 mph wind is often missed but can goof up your grouping. All that said. If it works for you then it's a good thing.

For myself, I bought an old Leupold Rimfire Special 2-7X at the local shop that was a trade in. It has a wire thin duplex reticle and is parallax-set for 50M if I remember correctly. Despite having just read that Leupold glass is less than desirable, I find it bright enough and good in low light situations. I have found that if sighted 1/4" high at 50 yards with my favorite ammo (Aguila 40 grain SE High Velocity) the very tip of the thicker section of the duplex reticle will be the aiming point at 100 yards. A little less than half way up the thinner section puts me on at 75 yards. In the field I have little time to "dial in" anything other than to do a quick range estimation, judge the wind, and take my shot. In this scenario the well practiced "duplex hold over" works for me.~Andrew

Hi,

With regards to the scope question I meant for use during dawn and dusk, long range off a bipod, the 10x44 MTC isn't up to it in terms of light gathering.

I don't currently do any lamping but am considering getting a cz 511 with a low mag scope for that application.

Atb.

Danny. .

Archived