todays load testing

Went out this morning before the weather turned to test the new loads in my 222 and recheck some loads in the 260.

The 260 shooting 95gr Vmax was w@nk so will be back the the starting line for them

The 222 shooting 30gr Bergers was excellent so just popped back home to remake some more and re test to confirm before tonight outing

23gr Reloader 7,

30gr Berger

Fed 205 M

seated 10 tho off

5d6a40a0.jpg

ed76fe6b.jpg

5c55a576.jpg

my spotters :D

72ce9939.jpg

Off out at 9pm tonight to try and christen it on charlei

Good stuff mate, What aet up on the .222 are you using?

What distane were you load testing at?

Steve.

The rifle is a tikka M590 I recently picked up, new Atec mod an Zeiss conquest

Was testing at 100yds. only want it for 300yds or so for rabbits crows etc got my 260 for further.

100yd zero gave me 2 1/2" drop at 200yds confirmed.

will pop out later to check out to 300yds

Great group; must be very pleasing! Love the whole range set-up too; dogs, bench, surroundings, very nice :)

Cheers,

I don't use the table much prefer off the ground. Need to modify it an make it heavier to stop any movement when resting on it.

Hi Rich,

Nice group Mate.

Like you said , more tests are required at 200 yrds - 300 yrds - I think you might be suprised by the amount they are affected by even small winds.

Their really low BC ( 0.119 ) means they bleed their initial velocity VERY quickly.

If these bullets started with a MV of 4000 fps - At 250yrds they have lost over half their original velocity (1950fps at target) This equates to 260 fpe.

And more worrying for me , these pills will drift over 7 inches from bull , even ( in a mild 5 mph breeze ).

Keep us informed how you testing goes

ATB

Alan

Really enjoyed the write up and the pic,s,,,

That 222 is a lovley looking rifle and shooting like that it is a keeper aswell!!!

I use 95 ballistic tips in my 6.5x47 with very good results????

Powder choice is rel15, varget, h4350,,,,,

Let us know how you get on with the 95,s???

Darrel ;)

Hi Rich,

Nice group Mate.

Like you said , more tests are required at 200 yrds - 300 yrds - I think you might be suprised by the amount they are affected by even small winds.

Their really low BC ( 0.119 ) means they bleed their initial velocity VERY quickly.

If these bullets started with a MV of 4000 fps - At 250yrds they have lost over half their original velocity (1950fps at target) This equates to 260 fpe.

And more worrying for me , these pills will drift over 7 inches from bull , even ( in a mild 5 mph breeze ).

ATB

Alan

Hi Alan,

Just waiting for Jess to go to her mums then I'll pop out for a play,

I just want to see how these perform for a few hundred yards for a bit of fun, I also have some 40gr V max to try.

If I'm happy with them I'll use the rifle as it is until I can afford a re barrel into something more exotic, I already have a 1-12 Douglas 22 barrel in the cupboard for something or flog it for a 20 cal one etc.

In some of my shoots this 222 will be better suited than my 260 for foxes and 22 for rabbits

Atb Richard

Really enjoyed the write up and the pic,s,,,

That 222 is a lovley looking rifle and shooting like that it is a keeper aswell!!!

I use 95 ballistic tips in my 6.5x47 with very good results????

Powder choice is rel15, varget, h4350,,,,,

Let us know how you get on with the 95,s???

Darrel ;)

Hi Darrel,

The 260 was performing brilliantly but now I've lost it.

The 95gr vmax and 140gr Bergers as fireforming loads with reloader 17 gave me .3" then as full powered 260ai loads but this last batch of rounds have been piss poor, probably something I'm doing wrong so I will start from scratch again.

The 95gr V max at nearly 3400fps make a great impression on the foxes lol

Hi Darrel,

The 260 was performing brilliantly but now I've lost it.

The 95gr vmax and 140gr Bergers as fireforming loads with reloader 17 gave me .3" then as full powered 260ai loads but this last batch of rounds have been piss poor, probably something I'm doing wrong so I will start from scratch again.

The 95gr V max at nearly 3400fps make a great impression on the foxes lol

Good results,,,

keep us informed on how you get on!!!

Darrel ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest richness

Hi Rich,

Nice group Mate.

ATB

Alan

Yeah, i'd think about a bullet with a better BC? Great group and not meaning to rain on your parade one bit mate but something like a 40gr Nosler Varmint would have double the BC and would be so so much better in any type of wind (don't lose any sleep about the loss of fps - run it through any calculator and the BC will definitely make up for it big time)

Lovely bench! ATVB Richard :)

Hi Ronny, used to run a Remy 700 in .222. It loved 40grn Vmax's over 21grns Reloader 7 with a remy 7 1/2 primer, bout 10thou

off the lands. Not a super hot load in that gun but grouped like your Bergers in pics above. Shot 197 foxes in 6mths with that

load then rebarrelled it as a 20tac.

Hi Ronny, used to run a Remy 700 in .222. It loved 40grn Vmax's over 21grns Reloader 7 with a remy 7 1/2 primer, bout 10thou

off the lands. Not a super hot load in that gun but grouped like your Bergers in pics above. Shot 197 foxes in 6mths with that

load then rebarrelled it as a 20tac.

Hi gun nut,

It's my set up an grouping not Ronnys.

I'm running 40gr vmax now under 22.5 of reloader 7 an fed 205 match primers , groups are good in 18mph wind so should be bob on in still conditions....

Atb Richard

Archived