why no increase in max velocity

kent

Heres an interseting one. When loading a .22 Hornet with Lil Gun and a range of primers both s.pistol and s.rifle I get no increase in max velocity as it is worked up indeed it actually goes down by 130 fps if you take the single fastest shot when powder is increased from 10.8 up to 12.2 grns, the latter charge being a very full case, the bullet taking all available space and compressing the charge slightly at the higher level.

Now i am not chasing more speed (wrong case to try that) but why is this happening? SD drops relitvely steady away as load increases in dencity ending with an average of 2788 fps but back at 10.8 grns i have spat some out at just over 2900 (but with poor SD) this has been mirrored with different primers so it cant be the primer choice. Is it just that this powder is peforming erraticly at lower dencities? Why? i havent ever previously experianced this lowering speed yet with better sd as load increases in other chambering. Can anyone shine a light on it as it would be good to know and understand why. The load is pretty much there now BTW just needs a tiny bit of tinkering / fine tuning with an SD of 21.6 and 2788 average with 45 grn bullets, would like to get it below 15 but i suspect i might need the as yet undiscovered primer to sort that one out, accuraccy is good to stunning but i need all the silage cut to test more fully at 200+ presently

Note. have noticed that shotgun powder loads are often tightly compressed in the case and lil gun is primarily a .410 shotgun powder though extensively recomended in the Hornet, in outward apperance it is of very fine and small flake quite nice as although it takes a lot of setting up it meters well (all above load development was with individually weighed charges though)

the poweder is clupping ball powders do this if compressed,

my hornet dose 2850fps using 10.5 gr lil gun and 45gr bee bulletand cci small pistol primer's , sd was 40fps it stayed same up to 12.0gr with volcity 2886fps to 2932fps

my rifle is old (made in 1942) so if iam getting 40fps sd iam happy and never shot a fox over 200 yrds

My Hornet gets 2860 from 46 grain HP bullets with 11.5 grains of Lil Gun and a small pistol primer. I get 3100 with a 34 -35 grain bullet over 13.5 grains, ans 3250 with a 33 grain bullet. In all loads I crimp. It has added uniformity and accuracy to my Hornet loads. You might find it helps.~Andrew

My Hornet gets 2860 from 46 grain HP bullets with 11.5 grains of Lil Gun and a small pistol primer. I get 3100 with a 34 -35 grain bullet over 13.5 grains, ans 3250 with a 33 grain bullet. In all loads I crimp. It has added uniformity and accuracy to my Hornet loads. You might find it helps.~Andrew

Thanks, its doing 0.17" presently though. litrally couldn't get 13.5 grns into the rws case, even with filling to the brim. Like i have mentioned previously the lighter v-max etc dont realy float my own boat as a hornet bullet much as the poorer bc means all i get is a more frangible bullet with no 100yds + balisic gain (i did however get them to shoot, just that the wind was playing havock with them initially)shot them in total nil wind and they were fine, previously shot against heavier stuff in practical nil wind they must have found wind that the 46's did not

I am using LE Wilson hand dies personally, i like the feel you get using them and they give fantasic uniformity and straightness. Neck sizing with the neck bushing die only works the last 3/16" the minimum amount so hopefully i will get longer life from the brass. I notice RWS also crip when seating thier TMS hornet ammo, it seems to be the alternative best way to how i am doing things

Intersesting your getting similar velocity as myself with less powder, this mirrors my finding only getting better SD as the case filled not increase in max velocity. Like i mention i am not looking for more velocity, if i was i would just buy a faster .22 i am looking to understand why

the poweder is clupping ball powders do this if compressed,

my hornet dose 2850fps using 10.5 gr lil gun and 45gr bee bulletand cci small pistol primer's , sd was 40fps it stayed same up to 12.0gr with volcity 2886fps to 2932fps

my rifle is old (made in 1942) so if iam getting 40fps sd iam happy and never shot a fox over 200 yrds

Clupping, what is this? so you got similar results? So your rifle built in 1942 would have a .223 bore as the older Hornets not the .224"? Do you also use the Seirra .223" heads in it in addition to the Bee bullet if so? Is the Bee .223 bore also i am assuming here as the Bee and the mashburn Bee were effectively replaced when the .222 rem came along ?

I won't be shooting any foxes over 200 with the hornet either, its interesting that it retains as much energy to mirror that of the wmr at the muzzle at the said range though. I am only being a bit Anal about the SD realy i realise it aint going to effect staying in the chest cavity of a fox but its just one more variable i know i can improve, indeed i have improved

Archived