Varmint barrel profile's & stock questions

skany

Being new to "custom rifle" & never having a new barrel can anyone point me the right direction!

I sure see a lot of users on this fourum with custom setups I thought it would be the place to ask :lol:

say i get a varmint barrel chanelled Mcmillan in a remmy inlet would a Remmy "profiled" barrel be the best bet or are the composet stock straight foraward to enlarge the channel ?

(ive done wood ones)

Im fairley sure the remmy sendro has a fatter barrel then the normall one aswell!

thanks in advance

Andy

Being new to "custom rifle" & never having a new barrel can anyone point me the right direction!

I sure see a lot of users on this fourum with custom setups I thought it would be the place to ask :lol:

say i get a varmint barrel chanelled Mcmillan in a remmy inlet would a Remmy "profiled" barrel be the best bet or are the composet stock straight foraward to enlarge the channel ?

(ive done wood ones)

Im fairley sure the remmy sendro has a fatter barrel then the normall one aswell!

thanks in advance

Andy

if you are building a custom rifle it is best to get all what you want firmly in your head,and then make sure it is doable with your smith, then start to order the parts to match.

if you are saying you have a MC Milan stock all ready and would like to know if you can open the Chanel up, then the answer is, it depends on some things,

what type of stock is it a MC what

what size barrel is the stock inlet for now

how big are you hopping to go,

if you look on MC Milan's web site then it will tell you what the biggest inlet the relevant stocks will take.

so in short yes you can to a certain extent, unless it is on the limit all ready.

hope this helps

Colin

The remington "varmint " profile barrel, is inbetween the sporter weight and the pss profile buddy, it looks almost identical to the pss.It will fit in anything mcmillan make.

Opening up a channel is not difficult. I use a combination of channel cutters [available from brownells] and an old piece of barrel the same diameter, or just under, from the one you are going to fit.Wrap it with an abrasive paper, and slowly and carefully open out the channel, trying the barrelled action very frequently.mark every tight spot with a pencil at either end of the tight spot, and work on these only, trying not to go out of the lines. If you work slowly and methodically, you will finish up with a beautiful inlet, that just allows the passage of a buisness card, up and down the floating barrel...and thats all you need.

McMillans sand out very easily. Another tip, is to hold both ends of the abrasive paper, up, and out of the channel with the metal bar in the middle, this is stop the very top of the channel edges "belling" out.

The remington "varmint " profile barrel, is inbetween the sporter weight and the pss profile buddy, it looks almost identical to the pss.It will fit in anything mcmillan make.

Opening up a channel is not difficult. I use a combination of channel cutters [available from brownells] and an old piece of barrel the same diameter, or just under, from the one you are going to fit.Wrap it with an abrasive paper, and slowly and carefully open out the channel, trying the barrelled action very frequently.mark every tight spot with a pencil at either end of the tight spot, and work on these only, trying not to go out of the lines. If you work slowly and methodically, you will finish up with a beautiful inlet, that just allows the passage of a buisness card, up and down the floating barrel...and thats all you need.

McMillans sand out very easily. Another tip, is to hold both ends of the abrasive paper, up, and out of the channel with the metal bar in the middle, this is stop the very top of the channel edges "belling" out.

Hi Mate

I was on the shillen website & looking at the mesurements against my savage barrel it sure seems on the thin size :lol:

Think ill go for the next thickness up as i think they look better!;-)

I had a boyde thumbhole which I sanded out to a varmint channel no probs I was jsut concerned over the material in the Mcmillans being sandpaper proff!lol

Cheers for your advise

Andy

Hi skany,

My 22-250 AI carries a Sendero profile fluted barrel by Lilja, when i ordered my Mcmillan i specified a Sendero barrel channel.

On offering up the barrel it was a perfect fit, and when the barrelled action was dropped in it free floated all the way down to just one point about 1/2" ahead of the breech on the right hand side where the paper was trapped.

After bedding and a bit of sanding with a 3/4" dowell and 180grit paper it now has a .030" free float right back to the recoil lug.

Ian.

Hi skany,

My 22-250 AI carries a Sendero profile fluted barrel by Lilja, when i ordered my Mcmillan i specified a Sendero barrel channel.

On offering up the barrel it was a perfect fit, and when the barrelled action was dropped in it free floated all the way down to just one point about 1/2" ahead of the breech on the right hand side where the paper was trapped.

After bedding and a bit of sanding with a 3/4" dowell and 180grit paper it now has a .030" free float right back to the recoil lug.

Ian.

Cheer Mate

Ive got a Sendro profile shillen on route;-)

May have to re think the stock due to delays/back order

Andy

Archived