Subsonic HMR .17

I don't know if this is the right place for this but here goes..

I do a lot of work on school fields etc controlling rabbits, often there are houses all around and so I use the air rifles, however this brings it's own issues such as not killing rabbits first shot, rabbits running off and dying later (not good) I will not use the .22 rimmy due to ricochet issues and would like to use the HMR but then I have noise problems, discretion is the better part of valour and all that! So, has anyone ever come across subsonic HMR rounds? Would they work with standard twist rates etc? Surely someone must have thought about manufacturing them by now? :huh:

Subsonic means under the speed of sound around 1050 fps will achieve this what your looking at is an air rifle std off ticket does 850 fps. I use a 30 ft lb precharged for this work in .22 cal, very effective. The airgun pellet breaks up well and poses little danger in the event of a ricochet, which are very rare if you shoot sensibly. Trajectory from a 48 yds zero gives me within 1/2" out to 55 yds with Bis Mags and good windages

I don't know if this is the right place for this but here goes..

I do a lot of work on school fields etc controlling rabbits, often there are houses all around and so I use the air rifles, however this brings it's own issues such as not killing rabbits first shot, rabbits running off and dying later (not good) I will not use the .22 rimmy due to ricochet issues and would like to use the HMR but then I have noise problems, discretion is the better part of valour and all that! So, has anyone ever come across subsonic HMR rounds? Would they work with standard twist rates etc? Surely someone must have thought about manufacturing them by now? :huh:

Hiya mate,

I can see where you are coming from but the problem is this. The .22 rimfire is so bad at ricochets as we all know due to the round not being able to produce enough energy/verlocity to destroy itself on impact. I think that if subsonic HMR ammo was produced we would probaly be faceed with the same problem even with the 17 grain ballisti tip.

Have you though about HM2? A friend of mine has HM2, its spot on out too 100 yards, bit further in perfect conditions but is just a little louder then a HV .22 rf round. I personly dont really see the piont in this calibar as i think between fac air, .22 rimmy and HMR there is not a lot that you cant do.....however this is a good case where HM2 may be benifiial.

Give it a thought mate.

ATB

STeve.

Hi Mate

I currently use a Sako .17hmr and onelesscharlie a forum member has manufactured a heavily baffelled silencer for me,it is a big heavy beast but not an issue for me as I use with a bipod, it is 30-40 quieter than the Wildcat Mod I was using and has remained very accurate.

the play off is the supersonic crack you simply cannot silence it. Run anything over the speed of sound and you will get it. Jackson Rifles issued a warning not to use over large moderators on HMR etc due to unburned powder building up to critical levels inside the can. Listen up if your over my neck of the woods "forest of Bowland" nr clitheroe give us a shout should be able to show you what you can achieve with a higher power air rifle on bunnies, with good ammo it makes a heck of a difference to both longer range accuraccy and killing power. Head, neck and frontal chest all kill just as quick as .22 subs at half the length of a football pitch and the sound of the strike is loader than the noise made by the gun and i just use a bog std moderator on it.

I am not a beliver in the .17 's being far safer, tried it but still got some. Have yet to experiance / notice one with FAC air. Normally i use the rimfire but around stock or shooting up into trees i just won't do it with the .22 lr

I like the FAC air rifles as well, I've got a logun gladi8or which has been wound up to about 40ftlb and I can quite happilly kill bunnies with head shots out to 70yds. But I also like your idea of subsonic HMR rounds, just a shame I've never heard of any being made. Getting a killing shot out to 60 yards with an FAC air rifle shouldn't be a problem. Mine will do touching groups at 50 all day long.

I like the FAC air rifles as well, I've got a logun gladi8or which has been wound up to about 40ftlb and I can quite happilly kill bunnies with head shots out to 70yds. But I also like your idea of subsonic HMR rounds, just a shame I've never heard of any being made. Getting a killing shot out to 60 yards with an FAC air rifle shouldn't be a problem. Mine will do touching groups at 50 all day long.

Do some not understand that running them at around 1050 fps would make them little more than 12ft lb air rifles, no real expantion and just as bad as the superiour subsonic 40 grn offering in the .22 lr. The whole idea behind the HMR is fast,flat,fragmenting. Only difference being 17 grns in the mythical HMR sub and 8 grns in the airgun 177 and 200fps. 22 cal Bis mags for the FAC air is 18 grns

I know what your all saying about an FAC air rifle, I used to own one but I can't justify buying another one for this job. But if anyone who has one wants to come and help me out! ;)

Might be a bit far Harrogate is about my travel limit east for bunnies, otherwise love to grass here is too high to see them presently

Archived