Varget or N140

Nelly

Good evening, As above :

Shall I stick with Varget or go N140 ?

.308 155 or 168 Scenars out to 600 yards.

How much is N140 these days ?

I will be at the Imperial meeting Sat and will get some if anyone has it and I've decided.

Thanks fellas, Nelly

Depends where you are in the country, anywhere from just under GBP60/kg to GBP75/kg which is a big spread, I would expect to pay GBP65/kg

N140 no question, other than that onto 5 series get a bit more but shorter barrel life

No doubt that N540 moves 155 Scenar's very quickly and is what I use these days to get the maximum MV I can. I have put around 3800 rounds through my .308 - I would say it is getting very tired now but still shoots well.

N140 no question, other than that onto 5 series get a bit more but shorter barrel life

I found N550 was actually slower than N150 in my 20BR.

A

I found N550 was actually slower than N150 in my 20BR.

A

perhaps its just in that case? to be fair i havent used it being a fan of N140 for the 308, most i know who used the double stuff did so for velocity though. I am somewhat more a fan of accuraccy above all else myself so you just use what works for you in your gun don't you

I used to use N140 exclusively for .243 & .308 target loads.

However, i would have to adjust the loads according to the season. Very cold weather would give diminished MV's.

Hot weather would give me very flat primers, as my loads were top end to start with.

Since moving to Varget, i don't have to worry about temp. It gives consistant results regardless of the season and temp.

I even experimented with the classic school boys mistake of feeding a round into a hot chamber until it was my turn to shoot ( at bisley, we often have 3 or 4 shotters per target), just to see the effect. No difference whatsoever.

Vargets consistent performance from batch to batch and excellent temperature stability, not to mention it's versatility with a multitude of calibers makes it number one for me.. Ave price is £42 per pound... Def more pricey than Vhit powders but worth it for me..

Archived