Explosia Powder

varminter.223

Just wondering if anyone has any dealings with this powder manufacturer eith here in the UK or on the continent.

http://www.explosia.cz/en/

Has anyone reloaded using this powder and if so how does it compare with the likes of Vit, Hodgdons, Alliant etc.

http://www.explosia.cz/en/streliviny/download/reloading_EN_2011-02-17.pdf

I would have no worries in the slightest using this powder. The Czechs were responsible for much of the Arms and Ammunition produced for the old Warsaw Pact countrys and as such are no Mugs when it comes to this kind of thing, after all they invented Semtex.

Sellior and Bellot produce a good product and must source their propellants from somewhere and i am pretty sure Accurate Arms have powders made in CZ. Maybe these are the producers?

Lets hope someone brings some in and we can stop paying over £40 a tub for Hogdon and the like.

Nick.

I think you'll find these are available as 'Accurate Arms' powders, which although an American company sources several of its propellants from Explosia. They are imported direct into the UK by agreement by Westlander Limited, Chris & Mike Pearson, web address:

Westlander

As well as various pistol grades, there is:

AA-2015, a small kernel extruded fast-burner that I've used in several smaller cartridges like .222, .223 and big straight-wall jobs like .444 Marlin, .45-70. A really good performer.

AA-1680, a fast-burning ball powder used in Czech 7.62X39mm milspec rounds

AA-2230 a fast-medium burning ball powder for .223 Rem 55-69gn bulets, varmint bullets in 6mm BR / PPC etc

AA-2460 a medium speed ball powder that gives very high MVs in .223 with 69-80 gn bullets and will suit light to medium weight bullets in cartridges like .243, .260, .308.

AA-2520, a medium burning rate ball powder for 75s/80s in .223 and wide use in .243, .260 .308 etc

AA-4350, a slowish extruded powder that does the same job as IMR and H4350. Long grains so not great in powder measures.

AA-3100, a slow burner / short kernel extruded powder similar uses to N160/165, H4831/H1000 for short and full size magnums, .30-06, 6.5-284 etc.

The last time I spoke to Chris P, he was hoing to get AA-Magpro too, a slow burning ball powder that gives very high MVs in the WSM / SAUMs, and there may be more grades available now.

They are excellent powders, and were a lot cheaper than the American stuff when I last got some. Chris and Mike do a delivery run around various dealers is selected areas, but look at the website and/or contact them for local stockists. The only downside in my experience is that some of the ball poowders are dirty and leave a hard fouling residue on the outside of case-necks. If used on the range, spraying them after shooting with WD40, better still Ballistoil softens it allowing it to be wiped off with paper towel after a few minutes.

Hi Laurie

Thanks for confirming this it is indeed the company that produces for Accurate Arms. It is interesting to note that the Accurate Arms Web page claims their powders are made in either Canada or Belgium. Wonder if A.A. are reluctant to admit to the US. market that they are made in CZ for some reason?

Nick.

Nick,

it's just possible they are made in those two countries now. Whoever owns Ramshot (can't remember the name) bought Accurate Arms a couple of years ago, so they may have switched suppliers. Ramshot ball powders are all made in Belgium.

All my AA can labels have 'Explosia' printed on them and the Czech address underneath, so even if the current AA-whatever comes from somewhere else, you know it was widely used and there is data for it. Mike & Chris can no doubt say whether it's still being sold as Accurate Arms.

The companies keep switching suppliers around. For years AA was mostly made by IDI in Israel and AA-2520 built up a tremendous reputation for 168gn SMK in .308 Win in US Service Rifle using the M14 ..... then lost a lot of customers when they switched as it wasn't quite the same and the previous favoured loads suddenly didn't group as well. All we need now is for the Chinese to get into this business, then no two cans of any powder will behave the same way!

Laurie

my experience with AA powders is limited to AA4350 for the 129gn Hornady interlock in 6.5mm. I have only good things to say about the powder, apart from the fact that I was ever able to locate one tub...Still looking for its brother...

Finman

Thanks for your input guys. As Laurie states there is a possibility that these may infact be the same as Accurate Powders. However, their website , under description of powders, states that these powders are "similar to Accurate............. blah,blah bla implying that they are infact different.

The reason for this enquiry is that there may be a possible importer of this powder into the UK providing that no restrictions agreements have been enforced by the manufacturer preventing sale of this powder and that there is sufficient need for it.

I have spoken with couriers who can acquire and transport this powder and are looking to bring over 4 boxes or so as "testers" to see if there is enough interest. They are planning to bring over powders for 4 calibers initially (50bmg, 223, 7.62/308 and one further caliber). Question is they are open to suggestions as to what that addtional caliber may be.

This has steemed from my enquiry about another form of expslosive which is currently being investigated by them.

They seem keen to get in on the market.

ATB

Pete

Pete, so which one is equivalent to vit n140 and what sort of price is anticipated considering the 1kg vit is now over £70 at most places?

Hi Eldon

If you scroll to the bottom you will find a powder burn chart (comparison). From the chart it would appear it falls between S065 and S070 and is different from Accurate powder burn rates.

At the moment price is an unknown quantity. These guys have large shipments from Explosia at regular intervals.Large containers are transported so sticking a pallet full of powder in a corner of the container wont be a big issue for them. Transport costs will be negligable for them which will be good for the consumer.

They need to do a little market research. What types of powders are the most commonly used for the calibers we tend to shoot in the UK. No point in bringing over pistol powders is there?

So input from everyone interested would be great. They already have interest from a source for 50 cal powders. I have suggested 223 and 308/7.62 as the "main stay" calibers. They are looking for a 4th if possible so 22-250, 243, 6 and 6.5 mm variants.

I wish I had more info but this is all I have at the moment. My interests with this company lie else where but I have strongly advocated that they look into this asap.I will continue to chase this and feedback as and when.

ATB

P

Hi Eldon

If you scroll to the bottom you will find a powder burn chart (comparison). From the chart it would appear it falls between S065 and S070 and is different from Accurate powder burn rates.

At the moment price is an unknown quantity. These guys have large shipments from Explosia at regular intervals.Large containers are transported so sticking a pallet full of powder in a corner of the container wont be a big issue for them. Transport costs will be negligable for them which will be good for the consumer.

They need to do a little market research. What types of powders are the most commonly used for the calibers we tend to shoot in the UK. No point in bringing over pistol powders is there?

So input from everyone interested would be great. They already have interest from a source for 50 cal powders. I have suggested 223 and 308/7.62 as the "main stay" calibers. They are looking for a 4th if possible so 22-250, 243, 6 and 6.5 mm variants.

I wish I had more info but this is all I have at the moment. My interests with this company lie else where but I have strongly advocated that they look into this asap.I will continue to chase this and feedback as and when.

ATB

P

Hi All,

The lads at Westlander did a deal with Accurate Powders several years ago to import the Accurate powders direct from the Czech Republic to avoid a massive 'round-about' trip via the USA. Westlander pick up from the factory themselves and bring it back to the UK (Don't ask Mike Pearson the cost of their ticket for hazardous goods on the ferry!). The 'Explosia' factory is now marketing their powder under the Lovex brand, many of them are re-named from the Accurate designations but the load data remains the same. As an aside, Mike Pearson is one of the most helpful guys in the guntrade,

Alan

I have used AA powders for almost 30 years. AA1680 is a top notch performer in the 22 Hornet. Rivals Lil Gun in accuracy (if not exceeds it) but at standard Hornet pressures. It gets peaky at the top end.

For magnum handgun and reduced lead bullet rifle loads, MP5744 is excellent. I won many cast bullet BR matches using 19 grains behind a 30 cal bullet in the 190 grain class.~Andrew

Archived