new rifle

Hi Paddy £900 is a good budget, you'll probably find you won't need to spend thast much on a rifle alone.

The Tikka T3 is a very accurate rifle at around £500-£700 depending on model do a search on here as this gun has been covered before. Also the Remington range of rifles are in you budget along with a discounted Sako or good second hand model. The Sako is probably one of the more favoured type on this site, probably the older mod 75 in preference to the new mod 85.

At the end of the day go and see some rifles at a dealer and pick the one you feel most comfortable with. They all shoot pretty good now adays.

Cheers

Dave

I know two people who have bought Sako Grey Wolf rifles (late model 75s) in 222 and experienced very poor accuracy. This is most unlike Sako so I wouldn't want to put you off the make but if you are looking to buy one make sure you get appropriate assurances and don't thread it until you know it shoots well. For field use I like the look of the Steyrs as they all seem to shoot well, feed well, are tough, strong, quiet and have a good safety system.

Cornishman

You need an action of the correct size for the 222 and Sako, Zastava (now Remington) or CZ are the ones to look at and Sako is the best. (although if you get a nice Zastava (mini Mauser) you wont be disappointed despite the adverse comments from some folk and the going price is only around £200)

Otherwise choose Sako but don't bother with the later offerings just search for a S491 'sleeper'. That is the last one with a 2 lug bolt and by far the best Sako mini action made. Pay around £350-400 and it will be like new, will shoot well and last a lifetime.

If you don't find one but see a note on here in a year or two to say Ive 'popped my clogs' get in quick and have a word with my wife and she will sell you mine - its a real cracker.

Recently bought and recently sold a sako 75 in 222.Not a patch on one I had some 5 years ago!!Yes it would group occassionally but was inconsistent giving flyers that just should not have happened.Checked and rechecked everything but no good.The real hurt came when I traded it as they are not so popular any more and dealers know they are somewhat more difficult to shift and sit on their shelves for ages.I suppose if you really want one you should pick up a bargain somewhere for this very reason,best of luck anyway.I would have a rethink on calibre and the 223 will do it all????cheers onehole.

If you don't find one but see a note on here in a year or two to say Ive 'popped my clogs' get in quick and have a word with my wife and she will sell you mine - its a real cracker.

I hope that doesn't happen any time soon!

If I put the note on, the rifle in question may well be re-homed before!!

Thanks very much for the 22/250 cases, by the way, I'll let you know how they stand to re-forming compared to the WW brass I've been using.

I assume One Shot Paddy that .223 is out for you due to our stupid licensing, I cant understand why they wont grant a .223 for vermin and only club use, makes no sense. .222 is fine though .223 just gives more options. Where did you get the HW66 my local tried to talk me into a HW66 back when I was buying a centrefire but I have to admit I didnt trust an action that was used for a rimfire also. I have seen one at the range and it didnt group all that well. With the .222 your choices are CZ, SAKO, TIKKA and steyr. I dont think you could go wrong with most of them, my preferance would be a sako have shot a .222 sako hunter and it shot great and felt nice. I also like the CZ varmint but the .222 only comes in a wood stock, if you dont mind wood the CZ would be the good, that little 527 action is really nice and far better than alot of people give it credit for, I have played with a CZ VARMINT in synthectic and it was very nice. Not big fan of steyrs, they seem like they are all plastic far too flimsy. Tikkas are nice also but have not really looked at them much but the varmint versions seem nice. Alternativley look for an old .222 tikka 595 (I think) everyone raves about them and they are alot better than the new ones and seemingly will shoot rings around them, or look out for an old sako L461 vixen (again I think thats right) lovely rifles to look at and again most people reckon there better than the newer versions. Where in the country are you from, I know Jim up at Loughview pushes those HW66 real hard did you get it from there? Have you went to Tanyoky guns in poyntz pass? They have a great stock of rifles sako, rugers, tikkas, CZ, remingtons, steyrs etc and you can a feel with them to see what you like.

I assume One Shot Paddy that .223 is out for you due to our stupid licensing, I cant understand why they wont grant a .223 for vermin and only club use, makes no sense. .222 is fine though .223 just gives more options. Where did you get the HW66 my local tried to talk me into a HW66 back when I was buying a centrefire but I have to admit I didnt trust an action that was used for a rimfire also. I have seen one at the range and it didnt group all that well. With the .222 your choices are CZ, SAKO, TIKKA and steyr. I dont think you could go wrong with most of them, my preferance would be a sako have shot a .222 sako hunter and it shot great and felt nice. I also like the CZ varmint but the .222 only comes in a wood stock, if you dont mind wood the CZ would be the good, that little 527 action is really nice and far better than alot of people give it credit for, I have played with a CZ VARMINT in synthectic and it was very nice. Not big fan of steyrs, they seem like they are all plastic far too flimsy. Tikkas are nice also but have not really looked at them much but the varmint versions seem nice. Alternativley look for an old .222 tikka 595 (I think) everyone raves about them and they are alot better than the new ones and seemingly will shoot rings around them, or look out for an old sako L461 vixen (again I think thats right) lovely rifles to look at and again most people reckon there better than the newer versions. Where in the country are you from, I know Jim up at Loughview pushes those HW66 real hard did you get it from there? Have you went to Tanyoky guns in poyntz pass? They have a great stock of rifles sako, rugers, tikkas, CZ, remingtons, steyrs etc and you can a feel with them to see what you like.

hi craigyboy... am up here in lurgan.. yes the rifle did come from loughview guns.. iam thinking about going up too 223, my gundealer said yes you can.. been on the phone to D mc cloys in Toome, and is doing great deals on steyrs. what do you think?

Archived