Sighting in target

eldon

Not sure if this will come out ok but here goes. If you print this 100% then all should be well.

Currently I'm on the sick so I'm playing around on the computer and came across a target I created a while ago on autocad. I wanted something that was good in the sight picture so diamond it was and needed no measuring for zero'ing etc as the dimensions are already known. The small squares are 1/4" across the sheet with the blank diamond in the middle 1"tall and 1"wide. This works out quite well for me see what you think. If you print it with the centre diamond in red it is better/easier to see any holes created but does work ok in black and white depending on what photocopier/printer you have available.

Target.jpg

For you more modern fellows into cms and mrads then you can frig the print size or maybe if I get bored might knock one up.

Let me have your thoughts and I can always amend /adjust to incorporate good points.

I use this as my standard Target which on my permission available locally goes to 400 yards max.

How far out are you going with a 1/4 " diamond?

Because the diamond has legs you can use this nicely with low mag stalking scopes as well.

Thanks for this, might try it myself. For field testing at 200-300+ yards I've been using this free target, which might be on the site you've linked to:

- But I'm going to modify it, since I always prefer a square aiming point - I find crosshairs are easier to centre naturally on a square rather than a circle. And the dimensions of the fine grid are not precisely set to one-inch squares either, which I must fix. I've made other targets myself in Photoshop, such as one I use for general load development at the (100 yard) range but which I now find is too big to upload here...

Regards, Tony

Yes funny you said that Tony as I gave this a bit of thought before deciding on the format. A circle unless your lollipoping always seems awkward to me. A square similar in that you are still gauging a centre point. Diamond was chosen as it sits nicely with most reticles. I also didn't want to walk all the way to the target and either forget a ruler or start guessing corrections, say for the current wind, hence the grid squares back ground. You can't see them at distance but they are a handy reference when you check the target.

The sizes chosen were in my opinion the best compromise for multiple distances as at one time I seemed to have all sorts of targets and scraps of paper. Now I just have the one, nice and simple, run a batch through the photocopier and shove them in the bag.

I have been asked for a metric version so if I can find the software disc, which if it isn't at work, then I will knock one up.

Good morning chaps,

reading this thread made me go to my folder where I keep the targets I use and found this one (attached) which is metric, and worked well for load development as well as zeroing.

best wishes,

Finman

UKV Metric Load dvlp.pdf

For you more modern fellows into cms and mrads then you can frig the print size or maybe if I get bored might knock one up.

Please get bored :)

Only changes I would recommend (request!) would be:

more than one aiming point per sheet?

Every fifth grid line in bold to stand out?

Archived