Firing pin upgrade

Guest richness

Guest richness

Hi guys :) I see that it is possible to buy upgraded firing pins for Remington 700. The locktime is so noticeably quicker on my RPA than my R700 that i wonder whether this is a worthwhile upgrade? It won't change my load will it? What are the pros and cons and which kit is recommended? Any advice gratefully received :) Richard

The locktime is so noticeably quicker on my RPA than my R700

Blimey, I doubt it - the lock time difference between the RPA and the Remington will be less than about 2 milliseconds.

(RPA claim a lock time of 1.5 milliseconds; rems are less than 4)

Guest richness

Blimey, I doubt it - the lock time difference between the RPA and the Remington will be less than about 2 milliseconds.

It just feels like it is away right as the trigger slips....i suppose you're right and it is just the fact that the r700 i'm comparing it to is 1000fps slower....

I'm still interested in getting a better bolt though for my new R700 fireball; should i have it printed, new firing pin, extractor and bolt handle...or simply buy a new bolt that has already been fully upgraded (£200 from usa) ? http://www.superiorshootingsystems.com/ACCESSORIES-CUSTOM_REM_700_BOLT.html Hmmm :)

Guest richness

Ah, but it is the action that the bolt fits into.. So really the two go hand in hand and buying a new bolt is only half the solution....Ah. Google is filling my head with reasons why it's best just to take it to a top smith and say "work your magic"...;) Any smiths need their computers fixed? ;) I'm good at that...I'll swap you for a blueprint job :D

I have a Speedlock pin and spring in my 6.5x284 - the locktime is faster than the 25-06 I owned without.

Fitted it myself, but I have the tools to strip Rem pins.

Norman Clark used to sell Speedlock.

Pretty sure you can buy direct from David Tubb

...- the lock time difference between the RPA and the Remington will be less than about 2 milliseconds.

You're comparing apples with elephants Rich.

The reason the RPA is so much quicker is it uses a Belleville washer stack to accelerate the firing pin rapidly over a much shorter distance. A conventional wound spring like the Rem will never achieve that lock time.

I can't seem to find it but my old uni flatmate who's a mechanical engineer calculated the lock time on the HHE Millennium (later NZ version of the CG-2000 like mine) using the correct modelling and it came out about 1.3 msec so pretty damn fast.

Chris-NZ

Guest richness

You're comparing apples with elephants Rich.

The reason the RPA is so much quicker is it uses a Belleville washer stack to accelerate the firing pin rapidly over a much shorter distance. A conventional wound spring like the Rem will never achieve that lock time.

I can't seem to find it but my old uni flatmate who's a mechanical engineer calculated the lock time on the HHE Millennium (later NZ version of the CG-2000 like mine) using the correct modelling and it came out about 1.3 msec so pretty damn fast.

Chris-NZ

Well, all the more reason to upgrade the firing pin and get it as fast as I can. Is this a complicated job, guys?

One thing I seem to recall Rich is that you can end up improving lock time with a low mass firing pin but eventually some thicker primers won't go off. I can't recall what types are

Chris-NZ

Its an easy job to change, with the right tool.

A baxxxd to do without.

I have the correct tool....

If you get the spring and pin, I can fit it for you, your not far from me looking at your location...

Guest richness

Interesting and helpful thanks guys.

Much obliged, Ronin

It seems to me that you can lighten the firing pin (£20) but you need the adjusted spring too (or it may not hit hard enough) so best thing to do is buy the firing pin kit, not just the pin (£75) ? sound right?

The thing is I don't know whether it's worth £75 but it might be worth £20. If I just get a couple of lightened firing pins and come see you, Ronin, to take you up on your kind offer to install it, will i get away with it or is it going to start light striking and upsetting my 450magnum and BR4 primers, both of which are well 'ard ;) ?

What i'm getting at is i don't want to minutely improve my lock time but knacker my load!?

Richard :)

I have to say, in the Law of diminishing returns; this spring thing is just a marketing mind game; and you're spending money polishing a turd.

What effect are you expecting to see taking a 4 millisecond lock-time to 3 millisecond ?! :blink:

Spend your money on something worthwhile! :)

Guest richness

I have to say, in the Law of diminishing returns; this spring thing is just a marketing mind game; and you're spending money polishing a turd.

What effect are you expecting to see taking a 4 millisecond lock-time to 3 millisecond ?!

Spend your money on something worthwhile! :)

OK, you've all had your way ;) I'll save the money and use it for something useful... :)

Am I allowed to buy a nice bolt knob for the little 17fireball? ;)

Very interesting this thread as i was looking at these. I think im right a callahan speedlock aluminium firing pin assembly remmy 700 non iss short action is what i was looking at with a claim of 40% over standard shroud are they any good?? or as brown dog has put it am i polishing turd?.

Archived