Mark, I saw that long piece this morning, about Laurie's achievement - great performance, interesting too even for those of us not into target shooting. I've seen other things on 6mmBR about or by Laurie - he's quite established there. A string of complimentary comments there as well, about his performance. Well done Laurie.

Tony

Thanks guys. They want to do the Savage as a 'Gun of the Week' too - that'll be the second that Gun Pimp (Vince B) has built and got on there if it comes to pass.

Thanks Darrel.

I'll be at the 600yd BR comp on Sunday, but not the Egg Shoot. I always make the Fly Shoot tho', so should see you there if not before.

ATB,

Laurie

Thanks Darrel.

I'll be at the 600yd BR comp on Sunday, but not the Egg Shoot. I always make the Fly Shoot tho', so should see you there if not before.

ATB,

Laurie

Lauie

Don't mind me asking about your "TOY GUN" - that's the usual comment I get when I bring it to the range.

I also shoot the McCree but every time I disassemble the action and retorque ( 50 foot pounds front and rear screw ) it, the POI changes ?????

Have you found this to be the case ?

I have 02 barrel actions and have already gone down the road asking one of my gunsmith to check BOTH contact surfaces and he confirmed they are both consistent in both actions.

How many other McCree shooters have you come across in the UK so far?

LondonHunter,

yes, I'd also intended to use the McRees in switch-barreled action mode to have .223 for F/TR and 6.5X47L for F-Open, but gave that idea up after I removed and replaced the existing .223 barrelled action in the stock. I put it down at the time to the 3-screw Savage action where the amount of torque on the rear screw affects both group size and POI, but maybe it's a feature of the bedding generally too.

I do my best to avoid splitting these items generally, but like you I'd imagined that a metal to metal no-bedding job wouldn't change much.

I don't think there are many of these stocks in the UK. Looking at their US website too, it seems the company is concentrating on the tactical magazine version now and doesn't show the single shot version I have. Wayne Titterton (North West Custom Parts) who was the importer for a while told me at the time I got mine - around 12 months ago - that as soon as McRees got US military business, they lost interest in supplying anybody outside of the USA. It might be they were fully tied up with these orders, or then again that contracts are only given on the basis of not supplying anybody other than American customers.

Laurie

Laurie

I have 02 barrel action one in 20 tactical and another in 6 x 47 L

I actually bought and paid for my stock through my cousin in PA before Wayne got involved. But he has been helpful supplying me with parts since he got the dealership.

I have been switching actions back and forth and I find that it is very very sensitive with what torque I apply to the action screws.

To a point I can actually tune the group sizes by varying the front to rear screw torque setting and the difference between them.

I have experimenting between 40 to 55 foot pounds and I have found sweet spots in each barrel action respectively.

The other factor I find is that if the contact surfaces are not cleaned properly with degreasing agent the POI changes again.

This is another variable I did not expect to encounter but the advantage of the setup surpass these fluctuations.

Has anybody encounter this in other action screw set up?

Tuning with torque ?

And there was me thinking about .260 Rem project.. I run a 1 in 12" .223 using 60 bergers and it's sweet though the flat based pills won't perform beyond 600 yds.

My .243 with a 1 in 10" won't stabalise anything over 88 grns and as i'm using berger flat based again, 600 yds is the limit.

Now Laurie goes and does this amazing feat, i don't know what direction to go in...lol...

As i also have a .308, methinks i've spread my options to far and should concentrate on one caliber for target use and the rest for hunting / varminting.

Why can't there be a one size fits all ????? lol...

THere is one thing i'm sure of though... The next beastie MUST have a Trueflite barrel.. I've heard all good and nothing bad about them..

Streaker

"As i also have a .308, methinks i've spread my options to far and should concentrate on one caliber for target use and the rest for hunting / varminting.

Why can't there be a one size fits all ????? lol..."

Where's the fun in that...... :lol:

Archived