new toy

dannyt

Iam thinking of builing my self a Magpie Popper so to speak , you know the noise is all part of the effect when bullet connects with the little monsters.

So this said i would like something along the 20cal line (ive owned most of the 22 centre fire cals at some point) but ive never had a 20 something , what barrel lenth would be best . I would rather not have a super long tube for this gun , iam thinking of around 22 inches ? or do i need to be longer .

Ideas please folks??

i am favouring the 20 tac at this time , i will build it with a magnum sporter barrel i think , but never having anything to do with 20s before iam not 100% on barrel life or length.

Iam thinking of builing my self a Magpie Popper so to speak , you know the noise is all part of the effect when bullet connects with the little monsters.

So this said i would like something along the 20cal line (ive owned most of the 22 centre fire cals at some point) but ive never had a 20 something , what barrel lenth would be best . I would rather not have a super long tube for this gun , iam thinking of around 22 inches ? or do i need to be longer .

Ideas please folks??

No reason why you should need a long barrel - my 20Tac is 22" and the MV is fine. And if it's a lightweight varminting rifle, for magpies etc, you probably wouldn't go the "heavy varmint" route with a 26" barrel anyway. In fact if I were putting together a rifle for the purpose you mention, I'd be looking at a .17 calibre, specifically and most probably the .17 Fireball, flat-shooting and great (according to expert users I've come across) out to 250 yards or so. I'd like one myself, might be my next project when I decide to spend the money.

Tony

hi mate a friend of mine is selling his 20 tac that was built by dasherman off here. its got redding comp die's, brass,mod,rings,jewel trigger,and is in a lovely h/s stock. it also has the cleaning kit,bore guide,etc with it

pm me if its of any interest to you. its deadly accurate

hi mate a friend of mine is selling his 20 tac that was built by dasherman off here. its got redding comp die's, brass,mod,rings,jewel trigger,and is in a lovely h/s stock. it also has the cleaning kit,bore guide,etc with it

pm me if its of any interest to you. its deadly accurate

Thank you for the Kind offer Foxer, But i build my own rifles now mate.

Hi Danny,

I joined the 20 cal owners club last year, opting for the 20 Vartarg. The barrel was only 21" and is accurately shooting the 32g BK at 3680 fps av, which I'm very happy with. Which from all I've read on this little 20 is pretty much what I accurately expected from the 32g anyway and all from a 21" barrel. Great light weight fun rile/calibre, and less than 20g of powder a pop :rolleyes:

I based some starting loads below Todd Kindlers starting recommendations which were best descibed as little hot :lol: If youve not read "The Terrific Twenties" its worth a look, to give you a bit of food for thought whilst deciding......

Keep us updated on the route you decide to go.

ATB

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve ,I will keep you all posted.

Danny

loven the avatar Danny was that taken in the wind at blair Atholl

Archived