CZ 550 .308

Bobbo

Hi lads,

I have a new CZ 550 in .308, 1-12 twist, 24" barrel, I would appreciate any advice on best bullet wieghts for this rifle, bought primarily for reds.

Cheers

Bobbo.

1-12 twist is spot on for 150-155gr and as long as you use a soft point like a sierra game king or a nosler partition of that weight running at 2800 - 2900fps should do fine on reds IHO

classic load for 308 is

lapua brass

fedral match 210 primers

and either N140 or varget in the weight range of 44 to 46gr until you find the sweet spot

oh yeah and about 10 - 20thou off the lands usually good

ATB

Ian

1-12 twist is spot on for 150-155gr and as long as you use a soft point like a sierra game king or a nosler partition of that weight running at 2800 - 2900fps should do fine on reds IHO

classic load for 308 is

lapua brass

fedral match 210 primers

and either N140 or varget in the weight range of 44 to 46gr until you find the sweet spot

oh yeah and about 10 - 20thou off the lands usually good

ATB

Ian

Cheers Ian, appreciated.

I agree mate i use 150gr SPBT in my OLD 30-06 and they will put anything down! I use those just becuase they give you that extra juice! and they are a little flatter in shooting. Plenty of energy when it gets to target also! Cant wait to get enough money scrabbled up for my custom 30-06.

I agree mate i use 150gr SPBT in my OLD 30-06 and they will put anything down! I use those just becuase they give you that extra juice! and they are a little flatter in shooting. Plenty of energy when it gets to target also! Cant wait to get enough money scrabbled up for my custom 30-06.

Thank you CZV.

I will echo Dueys comments.

V140 44-46 grains behind a 150 soft point is a usual go to recipe for most rifles.

Used to shoot sierra 2125 with 44 grains they were ok. Also used 46 grains behind nosler 150 bt's, no good for deer as they fragment too easily (by design).

Try some amax they do the business and you can get them mail order.

All good advice. If you can't get a .308 shooting, you're doing something very wrong.

I load for my mate's .308 and use 165gr Sierra HPBT Gamekings ahead of 44grs of Varget. They've levelled any red he's run into.

Chris-NZ

I will echo Dueys comments.

V140 44-46 grains behind a 150 soft point is a usual go to recipe for most rifles.

Used to shoot sierra 2125 with 44 grains they were ok. Also used 46 grains behind nosler 150 bt's, no good for deer as they fragment too easily (by design).

Try some amax they do the business and you can get them mail order.

Thanks Eldon.

All good advice. If you can't get a .308 shooting, you're doing something very wrong.

I load for my mate's .308 and use 165gr Sierra HPBT Gamekings ahead of 44grs of Varget. They've levelled any red he's run into.

Chris-NZ

Thanks Chris.

Archived