38spl loads

johngarnett

Hi!

OK, I know this is treading on the dark side but does anyone have any pet 38spl loads using 158grn LSWC and Unique or Bullseye powder in a Marlin 1894 lever action please?

I know it's not a PRECISION rifle but still a rifle!!!!!

Thanks for any help

JohnG

Hi John, and welcome.

My mate and i were playing with some in his his new marlin only last week. We fed it some factory 38, and it shot well, but didn,t cycle well, despite being tuned etc.

The easy fix is to use .357 cases with .38 loads. We got great results with a rnfp hardcast bullet and solo 1000 powder , i will look up the exact charge for you [it was around 5.4 grains ] velocity around 1100 fps, and one hole groups at 25 yards. A very good load, and it will get some welly at the phoenix next week.

The 357 cases functions and cycles flawlessly, and you dont get a carbon ring in the throat either.

Baldie,

Thank you for the info & welcome.

I, too, will be at the Phoenix so I'll try to find the Solo powder & I'll start to play with 357 cases.

I appreciate your reply as I now realise this is not quite the right place to ask.(!)

ATB

JohnG

I am disappointed to hear that the Marlin won't cycle 38 Special. It should. I have a Model 92 in .357 and it functions flawlessly with either. I would suggest seating the bullets out farther in the 38 Special case and see how that works.

As to the loads, I would avoid Bullseye. It is an old target powder for the 39 Special but it is extremely peaky. I won't use it in my handguns, 38 or .357 and don't see the point in a rifle, especially since powder position in the case is hard to control in a lever gun. For Unique, 4.0 to 5.0 grains has worked for me. If you are using swaged lead bullets you will need to watch pressures. Five grains is about at the elastic limit for pure lead and you'd be better served to stick to minimum loads.~Andrew

You are right Andrew, it should cycle 38,s as well as 357,s but the majority dont. The marlins we get these days are the crappest ever made. The quality control is non existent. We have to work on at least half of the new guns to get them to cycle anything at all.

I would guess the cycling can be improved by seating the bullets out a little. Its just we tend to use a hardcast bullet with a lube ring on it, that needs to be inside the case. This doesn,t give much room for manoevering. :D We haven,t the plethora of lead bullets i know you guys have over there, and hardly anyone casts these days over here.

John,

If you are going to the phoenix, go and see Mike at Westlander, he is the importer for accurate arms powders, who make the solo 1000. If you give him a ring he will take some down for you.Here,s his number.

0845 345 4808

'Baldie',

Thanks. Number noted. Solo added to annual shopping list!!

Andrew,

Thanks to you too. Noted re Bullseye. I was along this train of thought. Will stick to Unique 'til used and then try Solo 1000.

ATB

JohnG

Archived