Neck turning after necking down

6.5shooter

On necking down 6.5x47 brass to 6mm I noticed when I was neck turning there was a fair bit more enevenness in the neck walls rather than turning standard 6.5mmx47 brass.

I usually turn 70-80% of the neck walls as I dont run tight necks and just usually do this to clean the necks up more.

However after necking down, the unevenness seems to be more noticeable and almost seems compulsary to do after necking down as there seems to be alot of high spots.

Im just wondering shoould I turn more than 70-80% of the cut? Say nearer to 100% to get more uniformity as in

theory the neck walls should be slightly thicker anyway after sizing down or should I just do my standard procedure that I do on standard cartridges?

Thoughts appreciated

Garry

i have the same cal but mine is a turned neck i size down in 3 steps then neck turn so it gives 2 thou clearnece ,fire case then re-turn taking another 1 thou so i have a total of 3 thou clearence on a loaded round

this gives me a even neck tension ,

but i would defo recomend turning if your necking up or down cases

Thanks for getting back to me lads.

It really is shocking how much brass has to be removed after necking down. It even seems to push down the shoulder a bit ever so slightly at one side in the odd case.

Im using a forster full length size die so one pass does it but maybe I should do it in two or 3 steps?

Grant,

Do you think I should turn the necks again after 1 firing or should one neck turn on the new brass be enough when its not a tighter necked chamber?

Regards

Garry

Thanks for getting back to me lads.

It really is shocking how much brass has to be removed after necking down. It even seems to push down the shoulder a bit ever so slightly at one side in the odd case.

Im using a forster full length size die so one pass does it but maybe I should do it in two or 3 steps?

Grant,

Do you think I should turn the necks again after 1 firing or should one neck turn on the new brass be enough when its not a tighter necked chamber?

Regards

Garry

yes i would re turn the necks after the first fireing as you get brass migration,I had a nightmare when I had a rifle chambered in 7mm/300 wsm

I used to neck down in 3 stages

How do you neck down in 3 stages right down to the shoulder?

Do you use bushings in 15 thou increments and the final pass a full length sizing die?

This is my 1st non standard chambering so im on a steep learning curve.

Garry

How do you neck down in 3 stages right down to the shoulder?

Do you use bushings in 15 thou increments and the final pass a full length sizing die?

This is my 1st non standard chambering so im on a steep learning curve.

Garry

I had bushes made,I smoked the case then set the die up to get right down to the shoulder,after necking down then expand to neck turn then resize the neck with the correct bush for your required neck tension

its a lot of messing around so be carefull where you extract your brass you dont want to loose any

I think I must be taking too big of a bite too quick so to speak by sizing down in one single pass.

When turning the necks, the consistency of the shoulder in the cutter seems to be a bit erratic.

Theres only so much lube I can use aswell or it will also start denting the shoulders.

I wonder if I used 3-4 bushings when sizing down and then used the full length sizing die to square out the shoulder would this do the same job or should I look about getting special bushings made?

Garry

i use newlon blank dies that i chamber with a special reamer ,that are full length dies and has interchangable bushing of diff sizes that i make myself ,yes if it was me i would turn after firing just to clean up the neck

I think I must be taking too big of a bite too quick so to speak by sizing down in one single pass.

When turning the necks, the consistency of the shoulder in the cutter seems to be a bit erratic.

Theres only so much lube I can use aswell or it will also start denting the shoulders.

I wonder if I used 3-4 bushings when sizing down and then used the full length sizing die to square out the shoulder would this do the same job or should I look about getting special bushings made?

Garry

do it in stages its better in the long run

Garry

Garry,

Apologies if I've misunderstood your statement above, but have all your cases been trimmed to the same length, if not you will get a varying degree of cut into the shoulder.

Cheers Steve

Garry,

Apologies if I've misunderstood your statement above, but have all your cases been trimmed to the same length, if not you will get a varying degree of cut into the shoulder.

Cheers Steve

Steve,

Yes they are all length checked but what I meant by the erratic cutting when I approach the shoulder is that on one side of the case at the shoulder seems higher than the other and therefore the cutter bites in more than the other side andtakes more brass off one side of the case shoulder than the other.

The only explination I have is that I must be necking down too much in one pass and therefore deforming the case shoulder junction at the neck too much.

I dont know but that must be it.

Garry

Archived