Savage .17HMR

andybrock

Have any of you used a Savage .17hmr if so how accurate did you find it? I'm thinking of buying a Model: 93R17 BTVLSS as it's about the only thumb hole stock lefties I can find.

Andy

Have any of you used a Savage .17hmr if so how accurate did you find it? I'm thinking of buying a Model: 93R17 BTVLSS as it's about the only thumb hole stock lefties I can find.

Andy

I don't have the HMR but I have righthand grip, left hand bolt Savage Striker handgun in 22WMR. It is a remarkably accurate gun. With a 2-6X long eye relief scope I can tack 1" groups at 100M from it's 10" barrel.

Swift2-6LERonSavageStrikerjpgRES.jpg

Count on a new trigger unless the rifle in question comes with an Accu-Trigger. I like Rifle Basix. You would certainly be happy with the accuracy.~Andrew

I have a pre-accutrigger model 17 in its most baisic blued/unknown wood form. Its an argricultural implement that takes all the knocks that a field gun should. The finish is adequate and looks are nothing special- it is an accurate shooter now I have modded the trigger, but that is not an issue with later models. The barrel took about 200 extreemly frustrating rounds to "settle down" but it shoots very well now.

The accutrigger is not everyones choice, imho because its a bit different. I have one on another rifle and find it superb.

The Savage rimfires lack the refinement of some of the other makes but they shoot well enough. Go with the Annie or weirauch (or even CZ) if you want a higher quality feel.

Hi Andy Iam a lefty and have been using a right hand CZ for a while, which I found was poor quality and difficult to use in right handed mode, I have just changed it for a Sako Quad 17 HMR still the right hand model, and I find this rifle a joy to use and pin point accurate.

Hi Andy Iam a lefty and have been using a right hand CZ for a while, which I found was poor quality and difficult to use in right handed mode, I have just changed it for a Sako Quad 17 HMR still the right hand model, and I find this rifle a joy to use and pin point accurate.

Thanks Mike,

All the rimmies I've had over the years Winchester,Walther,Annie, and CZ (which was the biggest piece of crap I've ever bought) have all been "make do" right handed or ambidexterious.

I've always fancied a thumbhole stock so this time I thought I'd get a proper lefty with a thumbhole and the Savage is the only one I can find, that said I've only ever seen them on the Savage web site so they may not even have them over here.

Andy

Archived