.243AI info wanted please!

After a chatting at some length with two very knowledgeable Stalkers/Gamekeepers (thanks Alex and Mike) as I already have a slot for .243 & mod, I am now looking into getting an Ackley Improved .243 as an all-rounder and I may even ditch my old faithful .308 altogether :lol:

I am looking for more info on the .243AI can anyone recommend any good websites for further reading?

Hi nico , welcome to the site :lol: :lol:

Bought my first custom rifle - It was a RPA interceptor in 243 ackley / action and trigger are RPA / Robertson stock and a Border 26 inch 1 in 9 twist barrel chambered in min spec 243 ackley!!

Well as this was my first custom rifle i was not dissapointed , when i fireformed me cases the load i settled on was Lapua cases / federal 210 match primers / 47 grains of Viht N165 and the 105 A-MAX seated 10 thou into lands - this load cruised along at 3150fps with awesome accuracy ....

Please beleave me when i say this was a awesome pest machine!!!! ;) ;)

Only regret is i sold it to fund my 6.5-284 , but i shall definitely get one again!!! ;)

Here she is.......................500yds105a-maxtesting003.jpg

Hope you enjoy the site and all the best................

RAY.................................................. :D :D

Guest varmartin

I can vouch for Varminter and the lethality of his 243ACK.

I took my first 400+ yard Bunnie with it...actual distance was 472 yards.

We both routinely took varmints at long distance with it, I also regret him selling it.

Martin

Cheers guys some good info there for me to trawl through, I am currently using a std .308win for fox and deer, I did also have a std .243 SAVAGE but I have to say it was the worst rifle I have ever used/owned.

I was considering a variation and dropping the .243win in favour of a .25-06rem, but I have now been swayed towards the .243AI, so it looks like I'll either have to do a bit of saving or try and sneak the plastic past the missus ;)

Cheers guys all replies appreciated!!

Can anyone else suggest a fast alternative calibre as an all-rounder, capable of Hampshire foxes and Scottish reds and everything inbetween or should I just go with a .243AI??

Hi nico , welcome to the site :o:(

Bought my first custom rifle - It was a RPA interceptor in 243 ackley / action and trigger are RPA / Robertson stock and a Border 26 inch 1 in 9 twist barrel chambered in min spec 243 ackley!!

Well as this was my first custom rifle i was not dissapointed , when i fireformed me cases the load i settled on was Lapua cases / federal 210 match primers / 47 grains of Viht N165 and the 105 A-MAX seated 10 thou into lands - this load cruised along at 3150fps with awesome accuracy ....

Please beleave me when i say this was a awesome pest machine!!!! ;) ;)

Only regret is i sold it to fund my 6.5-284 , but i shall definitely get one again!!! ;)

Here she is.......................500yds105a-maxtesting003.jpg

Hope you enjoy the site and all the best................

RAY.................................................. :D;)

I like that RPA Ray, that for me would probably be ideal!!

I have seriously considered the .25-06rem, but I will probably just either go with the .243AI from the outset, or buy a std .243 rifle (I have a lot of experience with std .243win anyway) , shoot out the barrel and get it re-barrelled with a decent heavy .243AI tube

Personally, I wouldn't discount a 25-06 - it will do just as much as the 243AI with heavier bullets....

I second Vmax's suggestion but would go for the Ackley version of the 25-06.

120grn Partitions at 3500fps and 85grn ballistic tips at 3800fps.

Thats some performance ;)

Ian.

Thanks a bloody bunch Ian, now I have another calibre to consider .25-06AI :(;);)

decisions, decisions :o;)

Thanks a bloody bunch Ian, now I have another calibre to consider .25-06AI :(;);)

decisions, decisions :o;)

hi

i have a 243 AI ON THE SHELF

it is a no neck turn stiller predator, on a bedded MC Milan stock.ready to go

ATB

COLIN ;)

hi

i have a 243 AI ON THE SHELF

it is a no neck turn stiller predator, on a bedded MC Milan stock.ready to go

ATB

COLIN :rolleyes:

the above rifle, how much and do you have any pics

I second Vmax's suggestion but would go for the Ackley version of the 25-06.

120grn Partitions at 3500fps and 85grn ballistic tips at 3800fps.

Thats some performance :rolleyes:

Ian.

Or even better the 25WSM. All that performance and a short cartridge.

Archived