Well for the 3rd year running the weather was good for us for the annual UKV GF Challenge shoot, kindly held at Graham farmers in Warkwickshire.

This is a challenge shoot for everyone, and the targets reflect that too, from a rabbit target at 160 yards out to standard and mini clays as well as a 10" Gong at 600 yards. While we may not all be Long Range shooters, with the most expensive kit, stretching your limits in a controlled way shows just what a standard rifle can do as long as the person behind the rifle can do their bit too. Now shooting at 600 yards with a 6x42 Zeiss may put some people off, but it certainly opened my eyes (yes it's my rifle & scope)

It's a chance for us from the forum to meet up and get rounds down range without having to spend a fortune, plenty of rounds, petrol and some food results in a cheap day out, and the banter flows as well.

The list of rifle's were from .222 up to 300winmag, and all makes with all manner of scopes, and makes.

After a cuppa and chinwag with all that made the effort, we were off to our first FP, a paper rabbit target at 160 yards and on the back of the paper a 1" disc in the brain area that would earn you 10 points for a hit in the red sticker behind the eye, 5 points for a head shot outside the red dot, 1 point for a body shot. A total of six shot at the rabbit could earn you a total of sixty points, but you would have to make every shot count, and with the variable wind it was making what a lot of people thought an easy target a challenge.

Then it was off to some reactive targets, standard clays and mini clays out to 240 yards, and if the first set of clays were hit with one of 2 shots, the shooter went onto the second row. If the second row was hit with one of two shots also, all the other clays hit further up the field yielded double points, so this really put pressure on everyone.

Then off to the long range stuff, bottles of water, a 10"gong and clays out to 630 yards, you had to hit a water bottle and then move onto the gong, and if you were feeling brave a clay which you had to call before you shot.

DSC_3375.jpg

DSC_3381.jpg

DSC_3403.jpg

DSC_3399.jpg

DSC_3420.jpg

DSC_3458.jpg

DSC_3607.jpg

DSC_3612.jpg

DSC_3657.jpg

DSC_3708.jpg

The results

Ian 178 22.250

Graham 165 .308

Alan 131 .223

Paul 126

Grant 110 .243

Kip 92

Richard 80 .260ack

Matt 72 .243

John 29 .308

For next year we are thinking of a few more challenges, and knowing Graham he will put his twist on things too.

Just wanted to thank Graham , Grant and the others for taking the time and trouble to organise and run this event.

It was also great seeing the troops again , and meeting some new guys like Snowzs.

Congratulations Ian and Graham on some fine shooting.

Look forward to more of th same next year :)

P.S - I have plenty of gongs that I can bring to help with the shoot.

ATB

Alan

Yes it was a good day all round and thanks as Alan said to Graham for the opportunity again as well as Grant for trying to keep us all on our toes with COF

I'm thinking some reactive targets will be entertaining as well along the lines of fruit and or Balloons

Ian

Archived