Out for a stalk the other evening....

I popped up the valley this evening as there was a decent Buck around the other evening when I took Foxdropper up there,and I thought I might be able to get onto him with a bit of luck.It was a very hot day today,and as it cooled down a bit I thought he might be amongst the scrubby ground at the bottom of the valley,I walked up slowly using the brambles to keep me shielded,and guess what.....there he was.A total of 3 minutes stalking and I already had a bead on him,but,I decided to watch him for a while before taking the shot,he was casually browsing his way up a small banking approximately 65yds from me,he looked to be in tip top condition and had nearly cleaned off all bar a few dread locks.Just as I was making my mind up to take him something spooked him to his right,and I was expecting another Buck to emerge from the Blackthorn,but it didn't and for now at least he was safe as he had made it across a small brook to a neighbouring farm,so I carried on up the field and through the gateway that leads into the main 'Dingle' as I call it(foxdropper will know where I mean).And as I went through the next gateway I saw a very heavy Doe feeding away from me and down by the brook.I decided that the original Buck might be making for the far end of the land(it's not a massive place)so I made a bit of a detour through the brambles and blackthorn coming out on the top fenceline where I saw a young Buck with just a couple of buttons which dreopped out of sight into the wood at the far end.I went up over the barbwire fence like an athlete....not!....and stood in a break in the hedgeline to wait for a Muntjac,and to give the earlier Buck time to come back into the lower fields.This is where I shoulkd be putting a video on of a Muntjac Doe feeding across the small field for about 5 mins,but I am a pc numpty and can't get it to work.She didn't seem to give a monkeys that I was filming her and slowly made her way across and into the wood where a couple of minutes later another different Roe Doe appeared with another Muntjac Doe(smaller)and they took over from the other Munty and gave me a show for another 10 mins or so.I was just about to call it a day as I hadn't had any tea yet when a series of loud barks erupted to my left and the Buck was running along the fenceline and away frrom me barking like mad,but,luck was on my side as he had to stop(curiosity)for just one last look,and to posture himself at the shadowy figure in the hedge(me).The rifle was already up on the sticks and I quickly popped the crosshairs onto his lower neck and dropped him like a stone.......a perfect end to the evening.

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

After the obligatory few minutes had passed I was about to approach the beast,when a red flash out to my left dropped down over the brow of the field,and I got to the fenceline just in time to see Charlie tearing down the banking with a Rose Pheasant in his mouth,i tried everything to stop him,but I think he had read the script.Still he'll keep.

Finally managed to up-load it to You Tube so here is the video.....

Archived