6.5mm-08 or 7mm-08?

hello, I am new here, so please be gentle!!!

I am guessing this may have been covered before, but couldn't find much..

so, I was asking...

what do you recommend as a good choice calibre for long range Target use... and maybe, if I am ok / any good, F - Class?

I am drawn to either of these, as the barrel wear & cost / availability of brass is not to bad... I dont wish to go down the fast wearing barrel burning road, as I will be plinking alot, to hone my skills... and cant justify the expense of a new barrel after 1000 rnds or less, at this stage

to give you a bit of back ground... I have shot 5.56, 7.62 at various ranges over the years... in the main last few years, shot more 22lr in various NSRA comps.... I will be reloading, so thats not to much of an issue..

cheers

al

Welcome aboard Al, glad you made it.

308 will give you huge barrel life and you would be able to compete in FTR in a relatively level playing field. Or as I said on the other forum a .284 which will make you competitive in F class open.

I have no experience of the two calibres you mention but both will rule you out of FTR as they aren't .308 and I would be surprised if they could compete with the big 7mm's.

I'm sure some of the more experienced guys will chip in soon, ( Vince , Ronin, Baldie, Laurie et al )

why not a straight 284 ,i shoot the improved version and have barrels at over 2000 rounds and still 1/4moa rifles and it can compete with the 7wsms ,this will shoot the 180vlds at 2900 fps +

but if out of the 2 you sugested i would go 7mm

hi, Elwood... thanks for the link... glad to be here!!!

thanks Taylor...

the only reason I am thinking these, is that they are both based on the 308, which I do have experience of, when it comes to reloading... and know that there are vast amounts of lead & brass available.....as well as rifles

.284 sounds a great choice, but am unsure as to how / what options out there for the above... and the costs...!!

am I right in thinking that a .284 has a 6.5mm head? as I have heard that a 6.5x55 would be slightly better if magazine feed? as a 284 wont feed from a short action.... and isnt that great in a long action... or is that a pile of manure??!!!!! lol

and thats the other thing... rifles / actions.....!!!???

lol

cheers,Al

the .284 is a 6.5-284 brass necked up to 7mm ,they wont cycle from a short mag if throated for big bullets ,if its a repeater then the 260 or 7mm08 is suited best ,the 284 will cycle in a long mag but not 100%

the .284 is a 6.5-284 brass necked up to 7mm ,they wont cycle from a short mag if throated for big bullets ,if its a repeater then the 260 or 7mm08 is suited best ,the 284 will cycle in a long mag but not 100%

thanks... thats confirmed what I thought!!

hence why I was kinda looking at the .....08's , I am totally unsure on the 260... believe it or not, I have never seen one...!! lol

so, the 260, is a 6.5mm head???

260 is a 308 case necked down to 6.5 mm ,lapua now do 260 brass so you wont need to neck down ,it will cycle a dream and is very accurate makes a nice stalking cartridge

The .284 win is the original cartridge/chambering. An american hunting round, that was wildcatted into the 6.5 x .284. Only when berger and other makers produced some reasonable target bullets, did people start to look at the old original cartridge again, as it was now a serious contender with high bc bullets. Its a very well balanced cartridge, giving reasonable barrel life, and superior ballistics.

The 7mm-08 and the 6.5-08 [.260 ] both use the same case. If you want speed, go 6.5. If you want bc , go 7mm. Personally, i would have thought the case lacked capacity to make the most of the heavy 7mm target bullets, whereas the 6.5 will have power in spades, right up to 140 grain class bullets, which also have very good bc,s. Both feed flawlessly. The .284 feeds fine from a 5 round aics long action mag.

go .260 you will not regret it fantastic all round calibre and smooth shooting good out to 1000yrds i shoot one and knock deer down all day long with 100grn nosler b/t at good ranges too and then 123grn scenars for steel plates and paper punching

i have a 260ai running 140grn bergers out to 100yds last weekend @ WMS, was great fun and had less drop and drift adjustment compared to the 243ai, 6br boys, they are easy to shoot and have also dropped anything i pull the trigger at

hth Richard

Al, if you get hooked on the F class shooting I guarantee that if you get anything other than a .308 for FTR or a .284 for open class you will be selling it in order to have one of the above built.

The .284 is the logical choice with a 2000 round barrel life which enables you to practise and not be concerned with how much barrel life you have left, you also get to shoot the high BC 7mm bullets. I bet half of the F open competitors in the national league will be using .284's.

Elwood... you are probably right!!

but.... I think at the mo, its just a bit to big a jump for me...

Its not the rifle, but the whole package... the cost are that little bit higher, & I dont think I can justify the extra outlay..

I am really looking for something that will be a good target rifle, but if it all dont work out, then it will become an expensive deer rifle..

I gave up small bore prone, as I shattered my left wrist last year. I sold my rifle as I just couldn't hold the weight & keep it still on the sling, which gutted me a bit, as it was a Anschutz with a Fortner Action, in a Grunig & Elmiger Alloy Chassis....I suppose its that that bothers me, about having a rifle made / built again...

I will probably still be sitting on the fence in 2 months... looking for a holy grail, that will please me...lol

Archived