AMAX 308 Heads

onehole

Hornady have done it again!!!Just received 300 from {LOT NO2101094} that has three different measuring heads in it.Base to OG measurements vary with three distinct lengths over a 11 thou range.This is where your potential flyers come from!!Cant be assed to send em back will sort out and earmark for shorter range shots.Take care guys don,t assume all in a box are the same but do I really need to remind you,cheers Onehole.

just out of curiosity is the total oal of the bullet three different lengths as well or do you have bullets that the ogive is the same length from the tip and different to the base of the bullet . so have they all being made on one set up or three that are all slightly out . wonder how hornadys batches are allocated if you buy 100 are they all the same in that box.

graham,

just out of curiosity is the total oal of the bullet three different lengths as well or do you have bullets that the ogive is the same length from the tip and different to the base of the bullet . so have they all being made on one set up or three that are all slightly out . wonder how hornadys batches are allocated if you buy 100 are they all the same in that box.

graham,

Hi just had a quick look at a few as I have not been through the whole lot yet but after extracting about 30 heads there are a number of base to OG that measure .590 ,.599 and .604 thats 14 thou not what I quoted previously. Lengths are .590---1.211,,,.599---1.219 and the .604,s 1.216.

Its the OG that bothers me most I guess as I strive to load 15 thou off lands in my 308 and you can imagine the frustration when checking seating depths as you go through a loading regime.

I do not think this is acceptable and quite convinced that along with everything else that is not quite right in building the best possible ammo this would lead to potential flyers.I know this as I have shot what I call "crap" ammo assembled from some of the best possible components and then hand picked heads and concentric necks/cases and near zero tolerance in the reloading regime,it really does make a difference if thats what one seeks.I do personally because why spend huge amounts of money with a custom rebarrel etc and then feed it "micky mouse" ammo.Sorry to prat on just got up from a night shift snooze and still tired!!!!all the best,Onehole.

Hi just had a quick look at a few as I have not been through the whole lot yet but after extracting about 30 heads there are a number of base to OG that measure .590 ,.599 and .604 thats 14 thou not what I quoted previously. Lengths are .590---1.211,,,.599---1.219 and the .604,s 1.216.

Its the OG that bothers me most I guess as I strive to load 15 thou off lands in my 308 and you can imagine the frustration when checking seating depths as you go through a loading regime.

I do not think this is acceptable and quite convinced that along with everything else that is not quite right in building the best possible ammo this would lead to potential flyers.I know this as I have shot what I call "crap" ammo assembled from some of the best possible components and then hand picked heads and concentric necks/cases and near zero tolerance in the reloading regime,it really does make a difference if thats what one seeks.I do personally because why spend huge amounts of money with a custom rebarrel etc and then feed it "micky mouse" ammo.Sorry to prat on just got up from a night shift snooze and still tired!!!!all the best,Onehole.

Hi dave

hmm

ive recently got box of 1k amax & im thinking i should get the calipers out :wacko:

cheers Andy

Hi dave

hmm

ive recently got box of 1k amax & im thinking i should get the calipers out :wacko:

cheers Andy

I sat loading 105's for my 6BR one evening and kept having to adjust my Wilson die till the penny dropped and I went through the box with my OAL gauge and calipers. Doh!

Pete.

Yeah !!! annoying in,nt I had problems with a batch of 105,s too!!!The other part of my 308 Amax order{ie different lot} was spot on, hardly a thou out.Would really like to know how they produce and package/batch them up,,,anybody know??? cheers Onehole.

I sat loading 105's for my 6BR one evening and kept having to adjust my Wilson die till the penny dropped and I went through the box with my OAL gauge and calipers. Doh!

Pete.

I was doing exactly the same thing with my seating die but was loading 155grn .308 amax's. I think I will get the callipers on the box of amax's I have left and report back. Thanks for posting up Dave, thought I was on my own with having some issue with the amax's but this obviously is not the case. Does make me question whether I should be looking to switch to a bullet where I have a better guarantee of consistency....

so if the length is a bit iffy but the diameter is correct as they are not seating harder or falling out due to incorrect neck tension , is it to much to hope for or believe they are all the same weight in the batch. have heard how much people rate the amax bullet but havent tried any yet. if they are as inconsistent as this might save the hassle and my hair and stay with my sierra 155s

graham

so if the length is a bit iffy but the diameter is correct as they are not seating harder or falling out due to incorrect neck tension , is it to much to hope for or believe they are all the same weight in the batch. have heard how much people rate the amax bullet but havent tried any yet. if they are as inconsistent as this might save the hassle and my hair and stay with my sierra 155s

graham

i have to say ive never checked em & have shot loads of brilliant groups withe amax heads!

im going to check my next batch befor i load em

ill do 50 tomorrow & post back! :wacko:

cheers Andy

I was going down the A-max route due to my .308 being a toy for practice. having got rather frustrated with not being able to source them and then being charged £33.50/100 only £5 cheaper than scenars I had had enough.

I have eventually sourced the older 155gr sierra Mk's for £20.50/100 now thats plinking material :D

I did not mean to put anyone off the Amax its just that every now and again you get these rogue lots turning up.Yeah,superb dual purpose head but its nice to know or expect that within a box or lot they are all the same which generally speaking is true.I will be looking at any significant weight differences later today and report back if worth mentioning.Cheers Onehole.

Just done batching and weighing.confirm three different heads in lot as detailed above .5g maximum swing in weight ,across all heads.No difference in bullet diameter at all.

...after extracting about 30 heads there are a number of base to OG that measure .590 ,.599 and .604 thats 14 thou ...

When I asked Greg, the Editor of NZ Hunter, if he'd seen these dimensional diffs in A-Maxs, here was his reply:

"Yep, that’s why you’ve gotta load A-max’s using the base to ogive measurement!"

Chris-NZ

Have sorted out the lot of 308 heads now but guess what!!!!!started on a new batch of Amax105,s for the 6BRN "at least three different sizes in there Dohhhhhhhh!!!!no more comments from me enough has been said on this one but come on Hornady get a f?>,:'ng grip.Onehole.

Archived