Grouse

Alycidon

Today I saw my first live Grouse, been to Scotland on several occasions and only seen roadkill versions. This afternoon I had to go up to Derbyshire, between Leek and Buxton, I was a fair way off the beaten track and watched one run up for the road and under a gate a few yards in front of the Landrover. Been looking for one of thise for 40 plus years. Earlier this week I also saw a pair of Buzzards looking like they were mating, again I have not seen that before either.

A

You,ve never seen a grouse Geoff ? :o

Bloody hell. Take a drive up towards the woodhead pass in the middle of winter, and get right to the top with a pair of bino,s. You will see grouse a plenty, and also dozens of white hares.the place is teeming with both. The strines moor which is just above Ladybower breaks its own records every year for bag limits. It is most probarbly the finest grouse moor in the UK.

Drop down towards Penistone from the top of the woodhead, and there is a fine pub just over the other other side called the dog and partridge. You will get a fine selection of game in season to eat in there. In fact, shout up, and i,ll come and meet you, and show you the local wildlife.

You,ve never seen a grouse Geoff ? :o

Bloody hell. Take a drive up towards the woodhead pass in the middle of winter, and get right to the top with a pair of bino,s. You will see grouse a plenty, and also dozens of white hares.the place is teeming with both. The strines moor which is just above Ladybower breaks its own records every year for bag limits. It is most probarbly the finest grouse moor in the UK.

Drop down towards Penistone from the top of the woodhead, and there is a fine pub just over the other other side called the dog and partridge. You will get a fine selection of game in season to eat in there. In fact, shout up, and i,ll come and meet you, and show you the local wildlife.

Wish it was like that in the Isle Of Man.....Numbers are back down to very few, hense the none shooting of them for years ! Shame they dont seem to be recovering.

Steve

Wish it was like that in the Isle Of Man.....Numbers are back down to very few, hense the none shooting of them for years ! Shame they dont seem to be recovering.

Steve

If no one is shooting them then parhaps no one is investing in their conservation with predator control etc. bit of a vicious circle. You can't beat a day on the grouse, pheasans paill in to insignificance in comparason.

Dave

You beat me to it Dave, although I was going to say snake pass (A57). Every time I go on that road I get kamikaze grouse bombing across the front of the windscreen.

Another Vote for the Dog & Partridge too.

Archived