load for win mag

duey

Hi Guys

can anyone with quickload run some figures for me as my computer with my quickload is out of action for now

300win mag looking to use 178 amax using vhit165 hoping to achieve at least 3100fps with out over pressure

rifle has a 26" barrel, C O L is 3.152"

cheers

Ian

To get 3100fps out of a 178 you would be better using N560.

With 165 you will be up near top pressure before you get to 3100fps.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, thats what i was expecting to be the case just wanted to check

had planned to work the load up anyhow but always handy to have as much info as poss before you start

may still have some 560 about from previous endevours with the 200gr's i'm currently running

will have a rummage

2900 to 3000 will be fine just that 3100ish would have been ideal

cheers

Ian

What is your intended target ;)

I bet 178 A max at 3100 would be great medicine for big reds.

Cheers

Dave

looking to get an all round one stop bullet use

currently only use it for target work but have it on open ticket for stalking

my main stalking is in wigtownshire so mainly woodland roe so my 308 is nice and light and small and easy to crawl around with but occasionally have a chance to stalk with a friend on fallow dear so want a round that will do 1000yds+ target work still and double up as a hunting round without faffing around with zero's etc on different bullet weights and types

also there are occasionally reds to be had on my syndicate ground on the edges of the larger forests

3100fps is really for possibility of 1400yds targetry at places like WMS and sennybridge

pitting my wits against the 338 and 50 cal boys :blink::ph34r:

Ian

• 5 years later...

I stuck with my 200gr SMK at 2900 with 69.8gr N165 after trying 178amax for a short while but didn't get on with them

The barrel has now done just over 1800 rounds so going to leave any more work for when it gets rebarreled but it's doing ok for now

Due to start some regular 1200 yd shooting with the winmag so will soon see how long it is before it needs the rebarrel

Archived