Sticky rem bolt

I have a 700 VS in 223 and for a while the bolt was catching when I was ejecting a spent or new bullet from the chamber. The bolt would lift without resistance but then seem to catch on the lugs when you tried to pull it back, if you used a lot of force and worked it the case would come free.

So the other night I very slightly rounded off the corners of the lugs to see if it would help and without a case it smoothed out the bolt tremendously, however I just shot a couple of rabbits to test the NV and I couldn't get the cases out unless I yanked the bolt as hard as I could. I can't understand how it has got worse, I have looked at what I have done with the demmel and the marks aren't perfectly smooth, so this could be the problem.

Do I take a bit more off or is it something else which is catching.

I homeload but I have never had pressure signs but it can't be the problem as the bolt lifts easily and it feels 'clunky'.

I have put in a timney trigger and I don't remember this happening before I fitted it, furthermore the bolt release isn't working at times because the bolt slides right back out unless you keep working the safety on and off and eventually this locks it in.

The help is greatly appreciated!

Regards NF

I have a 700 VS in 223 and for a while the bolt was catching when I was ejecting a spent or new bullet from the chamber. The bolt would lift without resistance but then seem to catch on the lugs when you tried to pull it back, if you used a lot of force and worked it the case would come free.

So the other night I very slightly rounded off the corners of the lugs to see if it would help and without a case it smoothed out the bolt tremendously, however I just shot a couple of rabbits to test the NV and I couldn't get the cases out unless I yanked the bolt as hard as I could. I can't understand how it has got worse, I have looked at what I have done with the demmel and the marks aren't perfectly smooth, so this could be the problem.

Do I take a bit more off or is it something else which is catching.

I homeload but I have never had pressure signs but it can't be the problem as the bolt lifts easily and it feels 'clunky'.

I have put in a timney trigger and I don't remember this happening before I fitted it, furthermore the bolt release isn't working at times because the bolt slides right back out unless you keep working the safety on and off and eventually this locks it in.

The help is greatly appreciated!

Regards NF

If it wasn't happening before the timney, I'd reinstall the old trigger and see what happens. If your chamber is good, and your load OK, and it still happens You might want to look to the bolt components. I have the flu so I'm not quite thinking clearly but I might be tempted to look to the ejector button and see if it isn't being over zealous, forcing the case against the chamber wall. Just a thought.~Andrew

Thanks for the advice, tried the easiest thing first and cleaned the chamber as much as possible and now cycling fine. Didn't feel like that would be the cause as it was so hard but all sorted now, but it was full of sh1t and the bolt release is working for some reason now.

N.B. - Must clean rifle more oftern!

Many thanks

NF

Guest richness

Thanks for the advice, tried the easiest thing first and cleaned the chamber as much as possible and now cycling fine. Didn't feel like that would be the cause as it was so hard but all sorted now, but it was full of sh1t and the bolt release is working for some reason now.

N.B. - Must clean rifle more oftern!

Many thanks

NF

Dude you were hacking bits off with a dremel and it just needed cleaned! lmao. Damn Dan i know they use hammers to eat breakfast up in Scotland mate but strewth! ;)

Looked at a T3 the other day, "it wont extract, think there's something wrong with it" from the owner.

Checked over, lovely, externally.

Borescope chamber, pitted, rusty, and unloved for 2 yrs.

A costly error that five mins after each session would have avoided.

• 4 weeks later...

Bolt worked okay for a few days then the problem started again, so I took the stock off and looked at the trigger it was full of sh1t so stripped it down and cleaned. Now it is perfect, this is my vermin gun and doesn't get dragged through bogs like my old m595 for stalking and that has never missed a beat, a lot has to be said for a tikka at times!

ATB NF

Archived